Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My K-10 left me stranded!! Part II

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by arveetek, Sep 21, 2002.

1. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Well, after nearly a month and a half, I got my K-10 running great again.

A quick recap for those who may have forgotten: the truck died on my suddenly with no warning while driving down the road. After digging into the problem, I discovered that the injection pump gear was no longer turning with the engine. Disassembling the front of the motor revealed the problem: the three bolts holding the gear to the injection pump and the bolt holding the camshaft gear on had all come loose and backed out. This caused the gears to wobble a bit, in turn causing the pin to shear off the camshaft, allowing the gears to free-wheel. This motor has less than 5000 miles on it. The previous owner installed an engine that somebody else rebuilt.

After removing the oil pan to fish out the broken half-moon key pin (and to check the torque on the important bolts in case the guy who assembled the motor was in a hurry elsewhere), I put it all back together. It started and ran great, except for a new knocking noise. Using a sophisticated stethoscope (okay, okay, it was just a piece of hose), I determined the noise was coming from the injection pump. I thought that perhaps the pump shaft was bent, seeing as the locating pin on the front of the pump had also broken off during this ordeal. Calls to several shops told me that this was unlikely.

Cracking the injector lines did not make the knocking noise go away. I tried many times to locate the noise, but I was always led back to the injection pump. I could even feel the knocking in the pump with my hand.

Well, I didn't have time to mess with it, so the truck sat parked all this time. Last night I tore into it again. I had a spare pump, so I swapped the pumps out. The knocking noise was still there. I then removed the water pump again, but could find nothing wrong. I could feel and hear the knocking just by cranking the engine over. I had a helper crank the motor over while I watched the gears.

I removed the injection pump gear and inspected it. It looked fine. I replaced it anyway. Still knocking. I finally ended up taking a marker and watching the cam gear go around. When I heard the knock, I made a mark on the gear. I looked at the teeth on the cam gear near the mark. Voila! There it was! A slightly damaged tooth that I couldn't really see, but I could feel a high spot on it.

A couple minutes with a file had the tooth cleaned up. I put it all back together, and no knocking! It was just a messed up tooth on the cam gear! I'm really surprised that such a small imperfection can cause such a loud knock.

It's running just fine now. All this work for such a simple problem. Curse the man who assembled this motor!

Here are some pics I took of the gears and the repairs.

Thanks to all of you for your help and advice.

Cheers!

Casey

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Congrads on getting it back on the road. Doesn't it just feel great to fix something!!

3. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Yes it does!

And there's something extra gratifying about hearing that diesel fire up for the first time after being down so long!!

Casey

4. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Great story and follow-up. Good diagnostic work.