Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My K5 is dieseling when I shut it off.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by badmix, Jan 27, 2007.

1. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Its a 305cid w/ 120k on it. It seems to have started when I was monkeying with the carb. But b4 I do anything, I wanna check here and see what ya'll think or recommend. I dont wanna be chasing my tail on this.

1) Could carb cause this? If so, why? And what adjustments should I make , go lean or go rich?

2) Could it be a fluke that it does it when I adj. carb and it is really something else, like timing?

3) If it is timing what is the correct timing for this?

I appreciate any advice, suggestions, help or comments. :D

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

When you were "monkeying" with the carb, did you bump up the idle? Too high of an idle causes run-on.......

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

If it started right after you messed with the carb, go un-mess what you just did.

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Dieseling can be caused by the engine running too hot. Messing with the carb could definitely cause this if you have gone to a lean condition. Carb adjustment in conjunction with checking your timing would probably cure it.

Something that may be helpful to others posting is if you tell us why you were messing with the carb to begin with

5. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

I was messing with it when I went up to WV this xmas time. The air temps and altitude made the truck run bad. So I monkeyed with it to get it run good up there and then when I got back here I re-monkeyed with it. lol. I used the vacuum gauge approach to adjusting the carb. I guess I need to take my time and monkey some more with it. lol.