Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My K5 is gonna blow up!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka454, May 6, 2002.

1. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

I was looking at my truck from the back and I see that my gas tank is fully exposed, if I get rearended I'm gonna blow up well and the guy who hits me too, has anybody done something to prevent this little things from happening, you know like blow up in a rearend accident, how can I coverup my gas tank? I dont really want to die burning, I think that's the worst dead anybody could have... well and the only one too.

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

About the only thing you can do is to mount it in the bed.
    But then the tank will be in the rig and that might not be such a hot idea if it is a daily driver.
    I have a pretty stout bumper but that aint gonna stop a lil car from sliding under.
    That is something that I think about when someone is on my ass and we are doing 70 mph.
    Good reason to keep a fire extingisher handy.
    There are skid plates for the tank but it aint gonna stop a rig from ripping open the tank.
    But I cannot remember hearing about a rear end crash that caused the tank to explode.

3. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Put a good hitch on it, I was rearended by a Ford Expedition and the hitch took the worst part of the impact. Then again, it was only a Ford piece of ##!*&&?! crap so it probably couldn't do much damage anyway.

4. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

Yeah that's what I was thinking, putting in a good hitch and let it take care of whoever hits me in the back.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you're really worried that bad, you could just give me your truck. I'll even come get it.

6. 4x4machine

4x4machine Registered Member

Hahahahaha, I have a funny story about being rear ended. I was driving my dad's '90 suburban, sitting at a crosswalk letting this guy walk accross. I had just been pulling our 20 foot holiday trailer, and hadn't taked the hitch out yet. The speed limit was 40mph, and this teenage girl musta been doing her makeup or something, and slammed into the back of my truck full speed. Well, the tempo she was driving was written off, my bumper was a little bent, and worst of all, my hitch was scratched!!!!!. So we got the truck inspected and so on, just to make sure the frame wasn't bent, but it was all good.

So my advice would be is get a hitch for sure. The truck only needed a new bumper. and she needed a new car

7. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Mine has a very thick and beefy cover skid cover all aroung the sides and bottom of the tank
    I have drug it on the trail with no worries...mike