Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My K5 Saved A Life Today...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by landsmasher, Oct 15, 2003.

1. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I am so proud of my K5... It saved a life today. I was sitting in front of my place having my first beer when a lady on horseback came trotting up from the creek and yelled that her son had been bucked off a horse and if I had a phone should call 911. I told her I did and called. She said she would go up on her horse and stay by the gate to wait for the emergency vehicles.

I threw the K5 into 4wd and went cruising up the creek which is all deep sand and finally found the incident. The boy was sitting up with a rag to his head full of blood. Blood was streaming down his face too. I got out some clean gauze from the first aid kit I carry and we got presure on the wound. Two other people with horses said he was thrown off and then kicked in the head.

I looked at him straight in the eyes and detiermined that he could be moved. I put him in the K5 and drove him back down the creekbed to our place just in time to meet up with the paramedics. They treated him on the scene and then loaded him up into an ambulance and off he went. The other people in the equestrian party took the extra horses home while the mother went with her son to the hospital...

That's all I know but she yelled thanks so much to me on her way out... I thknk the kid will be OK but you know how head injuries are... Hope the mother or someone comes back and tells me how things went with her injured son...

Two hours later I find out that my neighbor got his diesel truck stolen and it had his dog in it. He was in the Auto Zone getting oil and a filter and came out and found his truck gone... He doesn't care about the truck but really hope his dog is returned. She has a collar with tags but who knows. The cops took 4 hours to get to the scene and take a report. By then the dang truck with the dog could easilly be in Mexico.... Still want to give illegals drivers licenses? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Thanks for letting me vent...

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

right on that is awesome that you helped out like that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif sucks about your friends truck and dog /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. landsmasher

There was no way that the paramedics could have got to him without my truck. I would have come right back if it looked as though he couldn't be moved and picked up the medics and taken them there. He needed help fast with the bleeding and I figured it was better to get him out of there quick and the timing was perfect.

Ya the thing with my neighbors dog sux. I hope he gets her back. He needs that dog... Please say a prayer that he gets her back. Her name is EZ and his name is Gary Folkers.

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I assume you've got the first aid card and stuff???

crap, with all the lawsuits people like to throw around I won't help anyone till I get my card renewed /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Please say a prayer that he gets her back. Her name is EZ and his name is Gary Folkers.

[/ QUOTE ]
    consider it done /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

gj! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Im always a lil worried about doing that kinda thing in this day and age... with my luck, the kid wouldnt have made it and the mom would have sued me and won. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

7. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Right On!!!!!!!!! The world needs more people like you.

Carl, ever hear of Good Samaritan Laws?

Good Samaritan laws are laws aimed at protecting those who choose to aid others who are injured or ill.

Though the details of Good Samaritan laws in various jurisdictions vary, some commonalities are nearly universal:

Unless a prior caretaker relationship (such as a parent-child or doctor patient relationship) exists prior to the illness or injury, or the "Good Samaritan" is responsible for the existence of the illness or injury, no person is required to give aid of any sort to a victim.
    Any first aid provided must not be in exchange for any reward or financial compensation. As a result, security guards are typically not protected by Good Samaritan laws when performing first aid in connection with their employment.
    If aid begins, the responder must not leave the scene until:
    It is necessary in order to call for needed medical assistance.
    Somebody of equal or higher training arrives to take over.
    Continuing to give aid is unsafe (this can be as simple as a lack of adequate protection against potential diseases, such as latex gloves to protect against HIV) -- the responder can never be forced to put him or herself in danger to aid another person.
    The responder is not legally liable for the death, disfigurement or disability of the victim as long as the responder acted as a calm and rational person of the same level of training would have under the same circumstances.
    The responder must not commit assault by giving aid to a patient without consent.
    Consent may be implied if the patient is unconscious, delusional or intoxicated -- or if the responder had a reasonable belief that this was so; courts tend to be very forgiving in adjudicating this.
    If the victim is not an adult (generally, at least 18 years old), consent must come from the legal parent or guardian.
    If the legal parent or guardian is not immediately reachable, consent is implied (no matter what the patient claims)
    If the legal parent or guardian is unconscious, delusional or intoxicated, consent is implied (with the same caveat as above).
    If child abuse is suspected, no parental consent is needed.

8. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I've heard of the good samaritan law... learned all about it in the first responder class I took /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif chose not to take the test though, don't want that much responsibility, just having the first aid card is enough /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif... But yeah... I was under the impression that the good samaritan laws only protect you if you're doing something you're trained to do and have proof that you've been trained to do it... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

No, In fact, Good Samaritan Laws cover you if you are "Acting in good faith".

Recent court rulings have protected a private citizen who was doing CPR "Like they do on TV". The citizen was acting "in good faith" attempting CPR until paramedics arrived. The victim later died, but not because of the citizens actions.

10. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

well right the freak on then... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. landsmasher

Liability never even entered my mind. I just acted. But it's good to know about laws like that. Thanks MoabDad /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ya know the cool thing about it is that there are some equestrian people around my place that don't like us being here. Some of them seem to think they own this property and that 4wd vehicles should stay out. (It's private property including the creekbed) But I like horses and with all the building going on here now, places to ride a horse are getting scarce. I think it's kinda neat that a 4wd vehicle came to the aid of a rider. Maybe this will smooth out some of the tension between the other riders and us... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

good semaritan laws are state laws arent they? dont know if WA has em or not. I mean, i woulda drove the kid to safety too... Im just saying that I can see the mom getting johnny cochran and ruining my life. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I mean, this seems like it would come up in court...

[ QUOTE ]
    I looked at him straight in the eyes and detiermined that he could be moved

[/ QUOTE ]

seems like they'd be sayin "what qualifies YOU to determine when people with head injuries can be safely moved? hmmmmmmm?"

at any rate, dont misunderstand my post, you did a great thing and should be proud of yourself! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

13. landsmasher

His eyes were clear and full. But his head was bleeding like a stuck pig. His family members didn't seem to care if I was qualified or not. They just wanted to see the bleeding get attended to. I had my trusty first aid kit in the truck and we got pressure on the wound which helped keep him from bleeding all over my truck. Then I whisked him down the creekbed. The paramedics and his family all thanked me and I went back to my place and popped open a beer.

I don't have any type of medical certificates but have been around enough injuries and fatalities in my life to take care of things like bleeding. I've been a hang glider pilot and skydiver for over 20 years. I've seen just about every kind of injury you can imagine. I tended to one guy on a mountainside with a hole in his head for 8 hours before the medivac chopper could even get near enough to drop a gurney (s) down to us. He's alive today and does stunts in movies.

In our hang gliding club we have several people who are pros at saving lives and they pass the info along to us...

Check this page out on our website. E Team Safety Page

So it's not like I can't at least help out. I can tell if someone can safely be moved or not. In this case it was move him or let him bleed to death. You can only do so much with a small first aid kit. Now I'm going to get a much larger one to carry in the truck. This was a good lesson.

Ya know, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have someone who is involved in life saving techniques and who is also familiar with 4x4 related accidents do a write up on what first response stuff can be done till the medics arrive. It could save someones life... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Ya know, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have someone who is involved in life saving techniques and who is also familiar with 4x4 related accidents do a write up on what first response stuff can be done till the medics arrive. It could save someones life... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like a real good idea to me. I'd throw a copy of it in the K5 just in case.

15. landsmasher

OOOH! There's a GREAT idea... Keep it with the first aid stuff... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

right on man!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

sorry to hear about the dog though! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

17. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

do i hear a volunteer? *coughlandsmashercough* i'd keep it in whatever vehicle i have with me along with the first aid kit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. landsmasher

Well I guess it wouldn't be to hard to have my friends who are EMTs write something up. I'm sure they know what kind of injuries are most prevalent in auto crashes. Mostly the ABCs are a critical thing to know & making sure that a possible C Spine injury isn't present before moving a victim. I'll go to work on it this weekend... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Good work ! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

good deal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif