Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My K5 shakes... UPDATE!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JHG, Jul 20, 2004.

1. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

Few days ago my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif started to shake when I am increasing speed after taking a turn (cant feel it when I am increasing speed in straight line). Its just for a few seconds (at speed around 15-25 mph) and then its stops and I can continue increasing speed.

Can anybody tell me where to start looking /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Info about the truck:

81 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif , 350/TH350/NP208/D44/12bolt/38" tires

Thanks, Jon H.

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Re: My K5 shakes...

i dont know if the drive shaft would only shake at certian speeds or not, but i've heard that before a u-joint goes out it begins making the shaking feeling, or maybe the tires are out of balance? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

BALL JOINTS.

to make sure lift up ur car put ur front axle on jack stands. hold each tire at 12:00 and 6:00 see if there is any play. Also do this at 3:00 and 9:00 and check for play. Have a helper watch your balljoints and see if they are moving.

I got the same problemwhen my balljoints went bad. The shimmys will just get worse and worse.

If its not ur ball joints you really dodged a bullet.

4. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

I checked:

1) Ball joint -> OK
    2) Bearings -> OK
    3) U- joints -> OK

Now I am totally confused /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Is it possible that my NP208 is loose? Should my K5 act like that if that would be the case?

5. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Could it be death wobble? Is your steering damper in good shape? If your wheel bearings and ball joints are good then I dont know what else to check other than the steering damper. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

After reading your post more carefully I see that there is no mention of it being specifically a front end shake so I would check your u-joints and tire balance and go from there...

6. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

Hmm maby ur stering stabalizer? If that goes out like mine did the ol ball joints take a pounding.

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Usually when something vibrates only at a particular speed, then it is an indication of a part that is balanced being out of balance, the two most likely suspects I would look at is the tires or drive shaft.

8. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

I dont have a stearing stabalizer because I have a hydralic assistance system (dont know the right english word for it) but it was installed few weeks ago by professionals (they have offered me to take the K5 in next monday and chech it out for free).

This shaking started suddenly so I dont think its tire related.

When it starts I can feel the steering wheel shake in my hand.

Tomorow I am going to visit a friend wich works as an car inspector.

He is used to try find something to let cars fail inspection (my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif has been inspected this year /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif ) and has all the equipment to do so /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif, so he must be the right person to find what the problem is /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif.

9. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

might want to check your crossmember bolts that go to the tranny. I got a little shake similar to that when taking off and I finally found out that there were no bolts holding the tranny down /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. There is only two and are really easy to see right under that little rubber tranny mount.

10. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Could have swore I've read somewhere on this site that this is an indication of the GOVloc failing, but I just can't remember for sure. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Figured I'd mention it and maybe someone else will know for sure.

11. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I had a similar experience...more vibration than normal, and an abnormal noise one time, each time, I turned. Straight line was fine.

Sure enough, crossmember to frame bolts had loosened up.

13. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all your answears.

Today I took the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif to the inspection station and they found almost nothing. The only thing they found that was not working like it should be is the manual hub on driver side. Its been in "Free" position for few weeks (alwais put them in "lock" every now and then) but they think that its possible thats its not totally in "Free" position. I put it in "Lock" and it didn´t change anything.

Other than that my truck should be in perfect condition (bearings, ball joints etc was ok). They even checked if my transfer case was not stuck but that turned out to be ok also.

My truck has some LSD in front, but I don´t know what brand name it is. Back it has Torsen lockers.

I will check the crossmember tomorow but I am running out of options /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I am beggining to suspect the hydralic system (wich has only been on my truck for few weeks) wich help me turn my 38" tires.

When I find out whats bothering my truck I will let you know /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Thanks, Jon H. Gudjonsson, K5-er from Iceland /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

14. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting

I'd still check the tire balance. If they are under any warranty it might be free and you could have lost a wheel wieght??? Some times the simple things get overlooked /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

Well, now I now whats the problem is /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Yesterday I started to fell this shaking when I was increasing speed in straight line, exspecially if I was driving upp a hill (from a dead stop or little speed).

It acted like the NP208 was moving, but I checked that, it was just like it should be.

Today, when I was driving up a hill (with a car inspector by my side, we where trying to locate the problem) I heard a KRASS!!!!

My TH350 stopped to work. Now I only have "P"ark

So I am starting to open everything up and have a look at it. I was wondering if it could be the converter, but probably I change the TH350 and the converter.

Jon H.

16. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Well if it stoped working then more than likely youll have to replace the whole thing. Or rebuild i yuour self. Any one that can do a lift can do an auto tranie. Just get a good haynes auto tranie overhaul manual and be done with it.BEER IS GOOD