Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My last duty station

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by desertrat67, Jun 1, 2004.

1. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

These are a couple pictures from Johnston Atoll. My company was responsible for chemical weapons containing GB nerve agent, HD mustard gas(blister agent), and VX nerve agent(no cure, you will die if exposed). THe first is the suit used by personnel opening and inspecting the bunkers before the loading crews went in and moved the rounds. The second is a truck load of artillery rounds(105mm or 155mm, i don't recall which)filled with VX nerve agent. We also had 700 gallon containers full ofthe stuff that had to be transported to the Raytheon plant for incineration. The chem suit was thick as hell and you had to have your hydration level tested before you could wear it. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

why is ratheon disposing of the VX? must be a different raytheon or a different division that i used to work next to...
    Grant

3. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

raytheon dables in everything. it has many divisions. They had the contract for the upkeep of the island too.

4. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

scary to see this stuff being handled by typical Gov't contract (ie: lowest bidder...) /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

BTW... VX does have an antidote, have to use all three MI NAA kits in rapid succession though (mark I kits), also depends on skin contact/inhalation or ingestion. Still some pretty nasty stuff though.

5. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Indeed, Naak kits will work on v series nerve agent. May not take all three. Depends on level of exposure. Naak kits is two parts, atrophine and 2PamChrolide cause anybody was wondering. Then there is all the CANA kit incase the 3 naak kits don't work.

6. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Thats cool..My dad was in the Marshall Islands from 70-73, From what I remember it was cool I was only 3-5 at the time /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I worked on some of the robotics that do the disposal on that island /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Much safer to sit in an office building several thousand miles away and design machinery /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

It's NOT one of those places you want to hear a co-worker say "uh-oh" or "oops"

[ QUOTE ]
    I worked on some of the robotics that do the disposal on that island /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Much safer to sit in an office building several thousand miles away and design machinery /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

9. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

bio/chem weapons are nasty, nasty things /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

For those of us that worked around it more intimately, it was told by the chemical engineers that the 2pam chloride, CANA and NAAK kits wouldsn't do anything but prolong your death. My motorpool was only a couple hundred yards from the bunker and less than half that from the plant. We heard the alarms go off on a regular basis and like normal army morons looked to see if anyone else was moving out of the area and if not we stayed in our office playing solitaire.

11. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

Yup, they sure are. now that the experiment on Johnston Island is complete, the state side plants have begun disposal of more of the US's stockpiles of Chemical weapons. Only about 6% of the total us stockpile was destroyed on JI.