Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My latest rant....part manufacturers who don't care about quality.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, May 13, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

My latest rant....part manufacturers who don\'t care about quality.

[rant on]

I really wish that there was a requirement that replacement parts had to be AT LEAST as good as the ones they are being sold to replace..... /forums/images/icons/mad.gif I am getting tired of recieving parts that will actually make my truck look and drive even WORSE!

Case 1: LMC Trucks (shame on you guys) sold me a replacement dash bezel for my K5....$80 and the quality is lousy....the chrome trim is pitted, and the black textured areas don't look even close to the original. The overall finish of the part is just plain BAD.

Case 2: Grant Wheels - Bought their "Classic Wood" wheel...the one with the 3 aluminum spokes and the metal rivets around the perimeter of the wheel... ( a classic hot-rod 60 - 70's piece) It was backordered for about 4 weeks, and when it arrived the wood was cracked around one of the rivets, and the wood was not even sanded/finished nicely. The "dark walnut" stain was splotchy and you could see the scratches where the wood was hurredly sanded... $100 for the wheel and adapter for THIS???

[rant off] /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I've been really disappointed with some of the parts suppliers I've dealt with. Not so much because of the companies themselves, but the poor quality products that they choose to sell....

GMCPauls will be sending me his "quality" dash bezel in the next few days. It's actually CHEAPER than the junk I bought the first time. He really seems to "get it" about the importance of selling quality parts.

ORD is the other place that seems to "get it"....everything I've bought from them was high-quality and has never left me feeling cheated.

ps. After about 5 hours of my own labor, I have now stripped and sanded that lousy steering wheel. I re-shaped the wood areas, and improved the "finger grips" on the backside so it's actually comfortable to hold. And I applied a new coat of stain. I probably have another 5 hours worth of time applying polyurethane sealer and buffing it out.

pps. There is also a chance that I'm completely insane.... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: My latest rant....part manufacturers who don\'t care about quality.

Hey Greg! First off I hear ya!! Second plan on the wheel you bought WILL rust out shortly after the paint starts to flake off the center spoke area. Or did you get a chrome center one? I have a black one with a wood wheel part w/finger grips on the backside. Mine is flakin and rustin all the black off. I will never buy a Grant wheel again!
    Seams alot of products today have a turn&burn look to them. They just slam um out with no pride ATALL!
    Later

3. Greg72

Burt,

Actually it's an aluminum frame, with wood "sandwiched" on the front and back of it....held in place with the aforementioned "rivets".....

It won't rust....but I suppose it could oxidize eventually.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ahhh, gottcha! Well I have the steel version. I do like the finger grips while on the trail!!

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

pps. There is also a chance that I'm completely insane....

<hr></blockquote>

i think that is a certainty my friend/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

also, this GMCPaul guy, was this the one you were talking to me on the fone about??

I need a few new items for the Bear, as I...uuuhh...*ahem*... redid my electrical items last night. as well and the trans. tunnel.

does he have a website or fone number to be reached?

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Greg-
    I hear ya on that!
    ...I knew i shoulda picked up that dash bezel in really good new condition for $20 at the goodguys swap meet. You should go there with a couple hundred dollars. Youd be suprised the deals you get.

Good to hear the report on what is good replacement stuff and what is NOT. Keeps all of us from going through the same thing.

I got one of those Grant 3 spoke chrome steering wheels and it started rusting off the steering column a week or two after i put it on. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

As for being completely insane... I'm with Zakk on that one. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The Editor's page of the current issue of Car Craft is about this very topic. Parts that are poor quality, or don't fit, or don't last, etc. His point is to send the crap back. Make sure that the re-seller knows why the part is being returned. But far too many do-it-yourselfers will just "make it work", so the company keeps churning them out the same way. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif But usually you're in a hurry to get the part installed, or have half your vehicle apart before you find out there's a problem. So if you can "make it fit" then just press on. I've done my fair share of "beat it to fit, paint it to match" parts installation in the past. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I think that part of it stems from the fact that most Americans shop by price alone, rather than for true value in a product. Just take a look at all of the chrome plated junk that's made in China, Taiwan, etc. Things like valve covers, air cleaners, etc. Some of that stuff is so crappy that just the oil from your fingerprints will have it rusting within a week. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif But it cost 15% less than the stuff with good plating, so everyone bought the cheap stuff and the guys that made the good stuff have gone out of business. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

9. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I feel your pain Greg, I to have had problems with vendors also. I have found it easier to find used parts to re-store than it is to buy aftermarket or build them yourself. I have also had a vendor "Change a quoted price" without really discussing anything with me!! Ship to the wrong address, you name it!! Some of these vendors will treat you better if you are closer to them. The only place I had good luck with this winter was M-O offroad, Steve Frisbie is very good to his customers with fast delivery times. The last thing I want to do is send out $1,000 and wait for my parts to be made, especially since I can make them quicker. All the vendors I delt with basically tawt me a LESSON!! I shouldn`t be SO LAZY, I should have thrown a peice of steel in my mill and machine it myself!!!!

10. Greg72

Zakk,

try this: http://www.gmcpauls.com/

The website isn't the best....but when you call Paul it will be clear that he knows his stuff and is helpful.

11. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

i saw one of those wheels it was pretty rough looking. but as you said you put 5 hours of work into it to get it lookin good. less work for the manufacturer means less price for you. now if you want quality you have to pay for it. http://www.sportscar-parts.com/nardi.htm check out these wheels.

12. Greg72

Kumma,

The Anni 50 looks pretty close to the style I wanted..... $500.

I guess putting in 10 hours worth of my own labor is justified now....! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Boy do I know where your commin' from! I have a ZZ4 crate motor with 9400 miles on it that already needs new intake, and pan gaskets(or maybe a rear seal, it's leaking quite a bit at the rear of the motor) But since I've already had the motor over a year, I'm sh!t out of luck. Plus since it's a "performance motor" it would have been parts only, regardless of how crappy the assembly was. Neenless to say I'm not too happy woth my local Chevy dealer right now. Hell, they wouldn't even offer a damn discount, and I work for a GM factory! A$$holes.

14. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Greg, LMC will take back any parts that you are not satisfied with due to any quality problems. A year ago, I purchased a seat kit from them, one seat cover didn`t fit right, I called them up letting them know what my problems were, they had no problems with returning the parts, in fact when they sent me the new cover, they also gave me a check for the shipping costs. Yah, it took about 6 days for the trans-action, but at least I didn`t get screwed.

15. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

I understand exactly what you are saying. Every day at work someone will pick up an item, and notice that it is made in china, japan, korea, etc. They will make a point of saying it should be made in America, which I agree with, however, most people who come in the store are not willing to spend the extra money on a superior American made product. I wish we carried only American made products but unfortunately MOST people would rather buy whatever is cheapest. Case in point: "The better lifetime warrantied starter is only $5 dollars more? Better give me the cheaper one..........." -(apparantly enjoys installing starters). I'm done venting now - thanks for listening.
    eric

16. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

...... man..... im probrably gonna open a can of worms here.... but here goes....

In MOST cases you can thank the UNION(s) on high prices for quality American goods. And when that doesnt fit, thank the folks with no moral integrity...... that is, they'd rather save a buck than buy quality, or support the local guy.
    the end.

17. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Even without Unions I imagine labor is still cheaper overseas. I'm sure Unions and Labor groups drive costs up, heck so does minimum wage, but it's hard to beat $1 a day labor overseas. Right?

18. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Hey Aaron.... how you doin' ?

I do agree with what you said too.......

19. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Doing good bud /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I was working alot and had no time for my project Blazer. Now I'm unemployed and have the time, but not the money /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif I may just stop working on the project for a year while I finish school but I havn't thought that far ahead yet.
    How are things for you? New blazer treat you well?

-Aaron

20. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Without unions things would be dang near just like overseas. Way low pay, dangerous working conditions... 6 days a week/12-16 hrs a day and work starting at age 10....etc. Take a look at the history books... especially the mining and steel industries in the late 1800's.

I hear ya Greg. I have stopped using a number of manufacturer's products because they have gone way down in quality. Comp Cams, Edelbrock, and B&amp;M are three companies I don't use much anymore unless I have to. Personally I usually shell out for the good stuff myeself... spicer u-joints, Moog front end parts, Raybestos brakes, etc... but some of these parts are really getting hard to find! We as educated consumers need to start throwing parts back at local part places when the stuff is junk. I did that recently when I need a filter for a buddy of mine. Unfortunetly I was far from home or a Napa and went to a Checker/CSK.. the idiot threw down a Fram... Needless to say when he had no other selections I went down the road.