Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my leaky 241 need help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by George_Pimpdaddy, Apr 30, 2005.

1. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

I finally found my leak in my transfer case the other day it turns out that its not the rear seal that i replaced but that the skid plate under the case rubbed a small hole in the bottom rear half of the case. So i need to fix this problem really quick as im putting a quart of atf in my tranny any time i go any where and its just pissing it out after the oil thins out. would something like jb weld work and will my transfer case be okay???
    thanks for the help :)

1989 Chevy Silverado Blazer
    355/700r-4/241
    10 bolts with alburn posi in rear

2. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

How big is the hole. I have fixed holes in tranny pans and oil pans with JB Weld before. I had good luck with it lasting but I was nervous about it. If the hole is small enough I would think it is worth a try. Just make sure you clean the area very good first.

3. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

if its small it will work, also correct the rubbing issue, replace the worn trans mount or straiten the bent skid plate

4. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info i thought that jb weld could do it also what should i use to clean the area before the fix???

5. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

I would pull the t-case(easy -- 1/2 hour job) , flip it so the hole is up(so it won't drip), then scuff the area around it with sandpaper(or similar), spray it with brake clean a couple times, blow it off with air, , then JB Weld it, let it set up good before flipping it over or reinstalling

you will need at least a quart of ATF(to top off the trans, might need some to fill the t-case as well)