Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my lights look flicker like a strobe light????PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by toomanytoyzz, Sep 6, 2005.

1. toomanytoyzz

toomanytoyzz Registered Member

I just bought a 72 Jimmy, and I'm having good old electrical problems. The lights pulsate when the car is running. Last night I blew my running/tail/instrument lights fuse. The headlights and turnsignals still worked, but also continued to pulsate. What could be the problem? I'm thinking alternator diode or the voltage regulator. Any info would help???? Oh yeah, you can hear the engine surge with the hood open when the lights flicker. It follows the same beat.

2. Afireinside

Afireinside Registered Member

I had the same prob. I replaced the alternator and that fixed it.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My guess is..

I'd say altenator diodes or voltage regulator too,or perhaps a short in a major power wire,like the big red ones that go to the starter or from the back of the altenator...your 72 should be the last year with an EXTERNAL regulator--you can upgrade to the newer style integral regulator altenator without too much work..

There are 2 hidden fuses near the radiator support on both sides under the hood,in the corners near the battery --made into the wiring harness are 2 rubber plug looking fuse holders--I think they are for the ammeter on the dash--if either or both of them blow,it can cause weird things to happen..my 72 K5 had them,and when one blew I lost some of the gauges in the dash,and the lights flickered..might check them first... :crazy: :crazy: