Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my luck sucks...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater_k20, Dec 10, 2005.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

so Thursday, after work we get dumped on... like 8" of snow within like 3 hours. so, i jump in my 93 and head to my grandma's to pick up the K20. FYI, 2wd in the snow sucks, especially with no balast weight. :rolleyes: i get there, fire up the truck, and notice an exhaust leak i hadnt noticed before. ok, no big deal, its just a little louder. i hop in and start my plow route. i clear out her street (a private drive) and her neighbor's driveways. after completing that, i drive about a block to the neighbor's daughter's house. i clear a path straight down her L shaped driveway, backing into a fairly busy 4 lane highway a couple times. i go to clear out the other leg of her driveway, and my plow wont move from its position all the way to the right. so i try again, this time, i notice a red geyser shooting over my blade. i get out and inspect the damage, a broken hose. great, its 10:30, nobody is open to get a replacement. so i limp the truck back to my grandma's, the plow dropping the whole way. i back it in to its parking space, and drop the blade the last 3/4" and call it quits for the night.

after work yesterday, i head to my grandma's house and fire up Betsy. after a little warm up time, i hit the seat and i head to the local Western dealer. as i get to the end of the street, and pull out onto the highway, i hear a loud *tink*. immediatel following it is the unmistakable sound of unmuffled small block. great, i lost a muffler. so i check the mirror to see if i left it in the middle of the road. nope, still attached. as i turn back to watch the road, i notice my drivers side windshield wiper isnt doing a very good job. that's probably due to the fact that it was sitting on the hood.:doah: by the time i had a chance to pull over and reinstall it, it was gone. i get to the parts house, buy a hose and a wiper. nothing eventful here... get back to the house, put the hose on, bleed the system, install the wiper and i'm in business. i took it out and hit most of the houses i needed to, and a couple extras. came home last night about 11:00. my dad says the pastor of church most of my family attends is looking for an emergency plow guy. ok, no big deal. i'll be the nice guy and go knock it out real quick. i get over there to see the full 8" of snow... so its a little more than i expected. my best friend and i worked on it for about 2 hours. had 3 massive piles going. we kept hitting them with the blade all the way up, knocking the top off the back side so we could add more snow without killing parking lot space. around 1:40 this morning (sat) i made a charge at the smallest of the piles. only this time, rather than clearing the top off, the blade climbed the snow mound. i back off, move over a little and hit it again. this time it climbs again, only this time it doesnt stay straight. as i reach the top of the mound, my blade swings violently to the right. i back off, and get out to see what's up. yet again, my truck is bleeding in the snow. apparently when i cleared the snow mound the second time, things were lined up just right that it cleared both hydraulic lines for the directional control right off the pump. went this morning, bought new fittings and the second new line, installed em, and finished.

so far i'm down $60 in parts, $50 in gas, and i've made $80. i'll make another $25 in the morning when i go reclear the church parking lot before church. so i will have spent about 8 hours working on the truck in the snow, and probably another 12 in the seat, just to lose $5. :screwy:

on a better note, last night my grandma (who technically still owns Betsy) jokingly told me that maybe its just time to junk her. she knows what my plans are for it, and i think she really likes the idea. i made mention of my recent ideas of retiring and replacing her with another truck, so that i could start the restoration before the rust got too out of hand. she basically told me that if i found the truck, i could park it at her place, just like Betsy. and that the new truck would have to be available to any of the family who needs to use it, as well as the neighbor who plows the street when i cant get to it. no big deal. none of the family uses the current truck, and the neighbor knows how i feel about the truck, so he just prefers to stay out of it most of the time. so, i may actually get to buy another beater K20 to push my plow, and drag my junk around. overall, i guess the weekend wasnt so bad after all. :D

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

holy crap that's a long post!:eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Good stories take lots of space!...

I know how it feels to have your plow and truck crap out when its the worst time or place to happen..mine never has a problem until its a blizzard,and it knows I don't have a spare part or the stores are all closed..:doah: having hoses fail is the worst..you cant just buy one at Wal-Mart..and I'm too broke to carry a spare for all of them..

My luck isn't the greatest either,as you probably know from reading my long winded posts..:rolleyes:

When I read bout your blade turning too far,it reminded my of when my power angle piston ripped the pin hole right out..had to weld a pipe in it to "fix" it..it held up ok..but if something like that happens now,I'm screwed..my arc welder crapped out a month ago,and I haven't been able to find another one cheap yet..:( -..

I hate having to plow piles up high too--usually the plow frame hangs up,and you can't back down,and you dig a grave,and have to be towed out..I've buried my truck bad a few times by plowing over frozen piles from previous storms,and once the plow goes over them,it drops anchor,and your F*****!!..:mad:

Reading your plow story is why I'm only doing my own driveway for the past few years..I explained in another post in the lounge about how costly it is to plow VS what you make doing it..to me,its not worth staying up all night,just to break the plow or truck,and spend all your profit on parts,fuel,and coffee,and busting your ass to fix it in a hurry,so someone else won't get all the customers(and NOT being able to plow your OWN driveway!:mad: )--..then in the spring, many people expect you to return and landscape their yard for free,or they will threaten a lawsuit..:rolleyes:

Our state just introduced new "Snowplow" plates..supposedly your going to have to use them along with special insurance that costs over a grand a year to plow commercially..and that includes me doing my neighbors yard!..so I will only do a few close friends in an emergency from now on..I can hardly afford diesel fuel,never mind special plates that only last 6 months,and a costly insurance policy..

I'm glad my plow hasn't screwed up yet..its far from perfect,the hoses are old,and the joystick cables feel sloppy..hope nothing breaks ,I had 25 storms last winter here,many were 2 footers,and I had to plow 2-3 times per storm,so its seen lots of use..I love the diesel torque ,its much better than my 400 SB was..feels like it cant spin the wheels,but nothing can stop it either!..:D ..but I'm hoping it doesn't snow much this year..got off to a bad start here yesterday though,and its not even oficially winter yet..:mad:

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i've actually located a '79 K20, with a 465/205 and 4.10s in it. it needs a motor, and i've got a little trick involving the Vortec 5.7 in need of rebuild currently residing under my bench. something about a dead flat 450 ft/lb torque curve all the way to 4000 that i like. :D probably put a stock 6.2 to shame. might be kinda fun to drive with a super small roller cam in it too.

5. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

What's a "snow plow"?

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

no "carnage" so far, just worked the bolts in the front of my plow frame loose. :rolleyes:

7. 468k5

468k5 1/2 ton status

you wanna talk about bad luck I just got two calls last week from guys wanting to sell me trucks. One is a 75 dually one ton with small block,4 speed,205, D60 14blt. the other is an 88 one ton 4x4 with an efi 454.
    $500 each! And here I sit flat broke!
    hope there still there after x-mas:doah:

8. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Got a phone number:ears:

9. 468k5

468k5 1/2 ton status

nope lol

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

interesting... K30s werent available until 1977.

11. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Thats just rude:p::p:

12. 468k5

468k5 1/2 ton status

thats just what the guy thought it was I nhavent seen it yet

13. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

hehe we've both got betsys. and she is just as much of a pita as urs.

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

as much of a PITA as she is, i still love her. if it ever comes down to my wife or the truck (when and if i have a wife), i guess i'll see her in divorce court.

15. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

:haha: i love mine too, its tough love. some times i wanna take the saw and cut her into pieces and haul her to the junk yard, other times shes's amazing.