Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My luck....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Leadfoot, May 5, 2003.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Is [censored]!

Actually it could be worse, but things always seem to go wrong somehow for me.
    Last Friday I worked late, and went to stop by a co-workers house to give her a bid on taking care of some yardwork (husband broke BOTH his legs), on the way home in a downpoor, somebody in a mini-van cut me off on the highway. I slammed on the brakes and hydroplaned across another lane into the median (missed a guardrail by feet). I went over a "dingle" and bounced. The half ton axles held up /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif (hopefully no damage) on the 78 K10, but the front spring mount and springs did not fair so well. The mount just about broke from the frame (sheered the rivits) and is barely holding by 1 and 1/2 rivits, the bushing came OUT of the spring (makes a nice metal on metal noise now especally when turning), and the springs are Fawked.

All in all it could have been much worse (hit something or somebody), but after a $75 tow bill, the cop said there was nothing I could do because I did not get a plate number. I can file a claim with insurance but still have to pay $500 deductable, so I am not going to file. I checked prices:

Springs $95 each a side for front 3 leaf: $190
    U-bolts and hardware: $70
    Poly bushings (already using ORD shackles) $50
    New spring mount and reinforcement L bracket: $70
    Total $380 plus my time

The towing will be covered, but the rest is out of pocket. All because someone cut me off (speed limit was 65 and I was doing 50 in the right hand lane because of the rain). The scary part is/was, I thought I was going slow enough to stay in control........and this was on A/T's with 95% tread. I will definitely take it even slower next time (rain was coming down in sheets with local flooding).

The worst part was there were alot of people who knew me and saw me STUCK (the median was swamped and over my boots in water/muck. One buddy who is a FORD man, called my cell (after asking if I was alright) asked if the CHEVY needed a tow /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif...........The cop even had the balls to ask if it was 4WD after looking at the ruts I dug (with the front and rear wheels).....can you say smart!

Oh well, had to vent.....

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

that sucks!!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

The funny thing about hydroplaning is that no company even claims to prevent it. If you look at the warnings on the aquatread tires they even say will not prevent it. It's just way too much water too quickly to keep traction. I watched a video about it in driver's ed. once. Scary stuff, it's actually better to have bald tires. Doesn't make much sense but that's what they concluded! It has something to do with the amount of tire on the ground when you hit pavement again, better contact patch for braking since you're going to plane regardless of tread. That's too bad for you man, but hey, without bad events in life, you wouldn't be able to differentiate a good one!