Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My maiden voyage ---at last!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, Sep 11, 2004.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Finally got my 79 C10 to propel itself down the road under its own power again.Took me all day to cut and modify the y-pipe off the 86 van motor to fit the truck--I was going to buy one new,but no one had it in stock for a 79,plus it was 70-100 bucks /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif--after comparing the vans pipe to an 86 305 truck one,I could see with an inch cut out and sleeved back together,it would work good enough for now--the truck I saw at the boneyard had the motor(and the y-pipe) missing already /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif--so anyhoo,after 3 hours of fabrication I finally got the exhaust hooked up,and was able to test drive it-- First stop--the Package Store!.I dont drink much,but since I started this motor swap my alcohol consumption has risen dramatically--hope the truck runs good a long time,or it might make an alcoholic out of me!~(drive me to drink,you might say /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif). It is like a whole different truck now--I know its only a 305,but it feels like a 454 compared to the 250 camel humper six it had before--for some reason it feels like I changed the rear end gears to a lower ratio--this thing really scoots and gets at a red light now!,and it seems to handle better too,maybe the 305 weighs less than the six did.It seems weird to be able to chirp the tires going into second now,I thought the truck went ok with the six,but now its a dragster compared to the old motor!.Maybe now I can continue my dream of getting a slide in camper and using this for a summer camping rig--too late for this year,but since summer is almost over,I might be able to find a camper cheaper off season.Well--my beer is getting warm--got to finish a few loose ends,(and leaky exhaust connections- /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif)and I'll be "On The Road Again" /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif sing it Willie! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. renny

renny Registered Member

Congrats! I'm getting ready to swap a 400 small block into my smoking 305 equipped '85 K5. I imagine I'll have some of the same issues because I want to keep a single exhaust but the manifolds are no where near the same. So crossover pipe finding is going to be a pain.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You should have no problems,going from a 305 to a 400 smallblock,they are externally the same--if the manifolds on the 400 are different,you should be able to bolt the 305 manifolds right on,unless they are the weird ones they had for a few years that had a 5 bolt pattern,even then I think they can be adapted easily.The main problem with chevy truck manifolds is some use a donut gasket,some use none because the "donut"is cast into the manifold,or the heat riser ,like a flare fitting,some use a donut gasket on one side only,some on both--where the outlets come out on the manifolds are usually in the same place,some have smog pipes drilled and tapped into them(mine did--1/4 inch pipe plugs are in there now--I de-smogged the whole motor,no more air pump,flute pipes or EGR valve,my 79 is emission exempt).Going from one V8 to another(unless your installing a big block in place of a small block)is usually pretty easy because all the stuff on the old motor will interchange.I have put a few 454's in place of small blocks,and they took a lot less time and effort than putting a V8 in place of a six--many of the things that are different on a six are the same or at least useable on all the V8's(like accelerator cable,P/S pump,etc.I have done 2 six cylinder to V8 swaps now--and I hope I have the sense to never do it again!.I just got done brazing the exhaust pipes together,it sounds much better,a little muffler putty on the spots my torch wont reach,and I'll be golden.
    I saw a nice late 80's suburban 4x4 for sale near me today,8 lug 3/4 ton,not rusty,but I didnt stop to look--also a 87 blazer a few houses away,sitting in a feild--I can hear it calling my name!-- /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif is there any cure for the GM truck--K5 virus?? I must have it bad to even consider buying another one after this swap,you'd think I would be satisfied--but I could put my plow frame from my soon to be junked 74 GMC on either of those,while my C10 wouldnt do much in the snow--might be time to peddle it and get another 4x4--I must be /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif