Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My memorial weekend wreck!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85 Shortbox, Jun 3, 2002.

1. 85 Shortbox

85 Shortbox 1/2 ton status

I know it was 2 weekends ago but I just got pictures back. It happend in the Silver Lake sand dunes. It is my buddies truck, mine was out of comission with bad ball joints.

http://community.webshots.com/album/29364321hodYowgjfw

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Was everyone okay? What is the whole story?

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

1st I hope everyone is OK

2nd What happened

3rd As much as I usually don't care for Dodge's, that sucks!

4. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

let's hope everyone is O.K. and i really hope you werent drivein??????????

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Also those pics show why even trucks with full roofs need a roll cage.

6. tone91

tone91 Registered Member

Man that sucks! I know it gets pretty busy up there on the holiday weekends. My brother and I both have sand rails that we take up there. I don't like taking my blazer out unles something happens to the buggies and they need to be towed back. I sure hope you guys are ok. Don't like seeing that happen to anyone.

7. 85 Shortbox

85 Shortbox 1/2 ton status

FIrst off 70~k5 is right about full roofs needing cages.
    Second, we were both allright, I sustained a rug burn on my neck from the seatbelt, and my friends pride was hurt but that is all.

Here is the story: Ok first of all it is my friends truck, I was in the passenger seat. We were going up the first hill in the dunes. They call the hill test hill because if you can make it up it then you can make it up all the other hills. Either way we just got to the dunes and my buddy says to unlock one of the hubs because he wants to try something. So I do, and he sticks it in low range (He did this because it is a stock 360 with 3.55 to 1 gears and 38.5" tires). So away we go in 2lo and the sand was fresh, no ruts or anything and it had been real windy because it is right on Lake Michigan shore and the hills were steeply peaked. Well like a rookie he charged straight up the hill without checking the other side. On the back it was almost a straight drop of about 5 feet. So right as we are about to the top he lets off, and we quickly start to sink so he blips the throttle. Well he was for that split second thinking we were in high range so he really blips it hard and we hit the crest and almost like a slow jump the front goes up and then down before the rear is over the crest. We hit hard on the front axle and then the ass end rises and comes all the way over on us.

As for the truck, it sounds like insurance it gonna total it. It needs 80% of the body replaced and all the steering is bent and maybe even the axle(it's his third front axle, last time he put a dana 44 out of a 79 ford in it). He took off the lift ( I believe it is 5" plus 3" spacers), except for the body, and put the street tires back on. As for the tires they are Grand Prix's(old school tires made by Denman) 38.5x???x15 and I think just chrome mod rims.