Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My mistake disregard this post

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Silver84k5, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

ftdgjfgj<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Silver84k5 on 02/20/02 07:58 PM.</FONT></P>

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Re: Can you Shackle flip on the front?

Why would you want to flip the front shackles? IF you made it possible you would lower the truck not raise it.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. Silver84k5

heh i dunno im just trying to figure out how to get more lift without using body lift, and i didnt really think about how the front was set up but now looking at it i feel dumb, my bad,

If you dont make it the first time, Drink another beer, and press a little harder on the gas

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

You can't flip the front shackle 'around' anything in the front...In the rear, the flip kit flip the shackle around the bracket that mount to the frame...in the front, the shackle itself is mounted to the frame...take a look at your rig and you will see what I mean...You can, however, buy EXTENDED shacles in the front to gain lift (I think you can get up to like 1.5" extended shackles for the front) but extending the front shackle too much has severly adverse affects on the caster angle of the front axle, therefore affecting the axle's ability to return the wheels to center (read: straight) when you let go of the steering wheel... ORD's HD front shackle kit is extend by like 1/4" or so, I think...

Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

No problem I was letting you know what would happen, wasnt trying to come off like a hard ass. You can do lift shackles, but they throw off you caster, You can either get ne springs, ot use 2" add-aleafs and a longer front shackles to level the truck out. You can make front shackles really easy, just buy some 3/8" thick steel, and cut it to the width of the factory ones and just make them laonger.

Dan

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

6. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

hey, dont feel bad, it never hurts to ask.
    One option you may not have looked at yet, instead of flipping the shackles, you can lengthen them. (to a certain degree)

By having longer shackes, your lift is increased by half the additional length. But you can only do this to a cretail point befor it starts to screw up all your steering angles. Check the Project UAV pages for a review of "hill 4wd extended front shackles" A few guys here have run these with good results, including Mr. Coloradok5.

-matt
    <font color=purple> "Stuff's only good for 2 things, degreasing engines and killing brain cells"</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</a>

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

if you want more lift w/o going to a body lift get ORD's Zero Rate springs...in simlified terms, it is a lift block that is incorporated into the spring pack...

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

8. Silver84k5

Thats a good idea about the block incorporated into the spring thx, My problem is, i got 8 inch springs, with 38"s and i want 42"s next week so i need a way to get few more inches, A one inch body lift really aint all that bad but i have no First hand expirience, can anyone gimme some feedback? Gracias

If you dont make it the first time, Drink another beer, and press a little harder on the gas