Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my motor runs better when i put oil in it...is that normal????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 01maroonz71, Jan 28, 2007.

1. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

just kidding...i changed my oil today on my newly aquired 83 and the motor only had about 1.5quarts of oil in it...WTF!!!!!! and it was the blackest nastiest death crude i have ever seen. aparently, whoever had the truck, did not take care of it at all...

today i changed the oil and filter, added PS fluid, changed all the damn sqweeky belts, and investigated further...

apparently one of the plug wires is melted some and is probably arching so im calling summit to get some new wires asap(i have a gift card and want some good wires!!!)
    can anybody piont me in a good direction for wires on a stroker motor with a mallory ingnition.
    thanks!!!

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I think the MSD super conductors are popular. I have a set that i got for under $100 i think.

3. big454blockchevy

big454blockchevy Registered Member Premium Member

I can't understand how someone would neglect an engine like that.

4. 01maroonz71

the same retard who traded it in to the dealership, where they probably put about 4k into it...i paid just over 6 and it's probably worth about 8 or so...easy. the tires/wheels alone would cost 2k to buy, and they were brand spankin new when the guy traded the truck in...what a jackass.

it's not burning oil, so he must not have changed the damn oil for a while, or maybe not put in enough from the get-go. it leaks very slightly from the driver side VC, but that's it. a gasket tomm will stop that.

5. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

if there was alot of nasty crude in it it might not be a bad idea to pull the pan and make sure you got it all out

6. 01maroonz71

yeah, im gonna run this oil in her for about 100miles or so...then change it out again...good 20dollar insurance IMO. and at that point ill change the filter again and pull the pan. thanks!

7. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

What kind of oil/weight are you running in it?

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Might wanna throw a pint of some Marvel in it.... Especially if your gonna change it out in a couple hundred miles...

9. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

I bought a 92 F350 with 40K on it, ran good, price was right, trusted the seller as I had known him all my life. Got it home, went to change the oil and it dripped out like molasses. That was some of the nastiest stuff i have ever seen. To this day, I believe i gave that truck it's first oil change, at 40K!
    Jimbo

10. 01maroonz71

i very well may haven changed the oil for the first time since the motor was put in/rebuilt 15k ago. i pray it's not that way, but it may be.

as far as oil...im runnin havoline 10w30 in her now...and am debating wether or not to go mobil 1 full synthetic

11. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

When I first bought my '87 K5, it would smoke a little at start-up, and I figured it was just burning oil from a leaking valve guide or something. I changed the oil to Mobil 1 full synthetic when I got home, and ever since, it hasn't smoked once, plus the oil pressure is much better now; between 45-60 psi at all times. I highly recommend it to everyone, but if you've got the money, step up to Quantum Blue synthetics sold by 4by4god on these forums. If not, Mobil 1 gets the job done, and then some.

12. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

did you not check it when you bought it?

i dont know if syntheic would be good investment on that motor.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

First thing I do whenever I buy a vehicle is change all the fluids. At least check them...

14. 01maroonz71

well...i checked it, but the dipstick is something else...i snap a picture tomm...it's off something else and long as hell...it goes to the hood, then is bent and runs along the hood like 8 or 9 inches...confused yet????

well, i checked it at the lot and it looked ok, but really it was just black isht stuck on dipstick.

next im moving on to tranny, TC, and diffs.

15. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I can't stand seing stuff like that on a vehicle I just bought. As nice as your truck is, i'd be real concerned about finding other problem areas that are a result of poor maintenance. I certainly hope that's not the case but hell, how can someone let their oil get like that unless they are a complete idiot.

It really is an awesome looking truck though. I love the LWB look and that color is sweet.