Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My Motor Swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Nov 4, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I'm going to get a good running 350 next weekend, and I will attempt to swap it in place of my current 350 over Christmas break.... My truck has a th400, AC, and powersteering. I've never done a motor swap. ANY advise is more than welcome. If someone could go through it step by step in a post, that would be awsome.. or just a good link to a previous post.
    I need all the help I can get, so please help :o ..
    Thanks so much,
    James :bow: :bow:

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Any fluids you don't drain first... will be all over you driveway/garage floor. I promise. :doah:

Don't pretend you can get the engine out with the radiator in place... you can't. :doah:

3. 78Suburban

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

5. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

You can say that again.
    Thanks
    adam

6. 78Suburban

Thanks, thats a good link. I'm still pretty dang intimidated, because I have never taken on a project of this magnitude.. any more advise is always welcome :)
    Thanks,
    James :bow:

7. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Be prepared for things like broken exhaust bolts, replacing hoses etc. give a list of new parts you plan to use and parts you will use from the old engine. It will make it easier to point out problems you may encounter that way. Best general tip is buy some sharpie markers, duct tape, and ziploc bags in different sizes to use to label things. Since it is your first time use a digi cam to take lots of pics for reference then you can scroll through them to view. Are you doing this alone, with helpers, in garage? What is the actual time frame 1 day, weekend? Using A frame hoist or cherry picker?

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

It's a piece of cake. At least you aren't rebuilding one as that takes a lot more time and measuring.

9. southernspeed

Advice? Think about it all and plan it carefully. Be methodical and work clean...and when/if you get stuck, don't get the BFH out...just post up and you'll get all the avice you need from the good people here! :D

10. 78Suburban

About that... uhh, I dunno If I will have much help or not.. I may get some help, which will be strictly muscle, no mechancial knowledge.. I will try to get it done over within a 3 or 4 week period (over Christmas break).... I don't have a cherry picker... I'm thinking of using a Come-A-Long... I don't have anything to hang the motor from....... I may have to rig up something with boards??? I'm wondering if the beams on one of our sheds will hold... How much does a SBC with all the accessories weigh?
    thanks,
    James

11. anjieandjohn

anjieandjohn Registered Member

probably would be a lot easier with a cherry picker....they arent to expensive at advance or another fast food parts store. Just my 1 cents worth.

12. wildbilzrydn

wildbilzrydn 1/2 ton status

Power wash the hell out of the underside before you get going too, It'll clean off some of the grease that has accumulated and knock off that god-forsaken dust that always falls in your eyes.
    Also make sure you have a floor jack to support the trans. you can use the jack to help align the trans and engine when you drop back in.
    Get an engine hoist too.

13. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Okay here is my 2 cents then. If you have muscle that is great just one extra person can save hours. To save a hernia get a cherry picker Harbor Freight sell them with balancer less than $200 as do some part store chains. Do all prep work first get new engine and any new parts you know you will need. Then take your pictures of the engine bay to use for reference if needed later. Start removing and labeling things like alternator, starter, Carb/tbi, disconnect the exhaust manifolds from pipe, unbolt a/c and ziptie out of the way without unhooking the hoses going into it. Basically strip all accessories from the engine it makes it easier to manhandle without all the extras to get caught on something. Drain and disconnect the radiator hoses and remove radiator. If you decide to remove the front clip go ahead and unbolt but keep in mind that too remove the front clip you will have to disconnect the a/c hoses next to the radiator and will have to recharge the a/c. You can just remove 1 fender and the wheel on that side and have good access. Honestly I wouldn't remove the front clip or a fender if you don't have to. Once you have the cherry picker and new engine you can jack it up and see how well it clears the front end of the truck to make a decision on if you will need to remove the fenders or clip. Go ahead and unbolt the flexplate from the tc and if you go ahead and support the trans and the engine you can unbolt the engine from the trans. Once you have everything disconnected then call in the muscle. Remove the hood and then the engine. You can set the engine down in an old tire to remove the brackets, manifolds etc to swap to the new engine. Once you have the new engine assembled to the same level as the old one was when you removed it, you can then put it back in. Connect the engine mounts and bolt to the trans, bolt up flexplate and tc and exhaust pipe. Then simply start reconnecting everything you took off taking care to clean things up and inspect them before you put them back on. If possible I would recomend having your muscle come over to help remove the hood a few days ahead of time to make it easier to sit in the engine bay without bumping your head and having to hunch over so much. Then have them come back to put the hood on after you have finished hooking everything back up. But that is really more convenience than required. As long as you are good at labelling everything as you take it off putting it back on isn't so hard. The entire process of removing and reinstalling the engine can be done in a couple hours as long as you have all the prep work done. Since this is your first time the prepwork is the biggest step especially if your helper is muscle not knowledge and it will make things go much smoother. Lastly don't be afraid to ask a question even if you feel it is stupid. Good luck!

14. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

James,
    Check your email.
    Heath

15. southernspeed

Don't just rig something up!! Those motors are nearly 600lbs of bone crushing iron. It's easy to hurt yourself with a proper motor hoist let alone riging up boards or what ever. And if you're alone it may be a long painful wait under that engine 'till someone notices you missing.
    You may not have the proper tools or knowledge but at least be safe and careful.
    Good luck.

16. 78Suburban

I know somebody that has an engine hoist I think. I will try to see if he will let me borrow it. But I still won't have the luxury of working in a garage.. :rolleyes: ... I'll see what I can do.. I doubt I could rig up something strong enough to hold 600 lbs :eek1: ...
    thanks for the advise,
    James

17. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

You can get regular engine stands that weigh 750lbs or bigger for really cheap also :thumb:

18. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

Call up your local rental store, you can usually rent a cherry picker for cheap