Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My neighbor killed his suburban

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by 4by4bygod, Mar 18, 2005.

1. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Hi all!

my neighbor ran his 90 /91 sub (don't know exact year) too long with low coolant and siezed his motor. He's telling me he has a line on a corvette motor that he will put in. I haven't seen the vette motor, but I'm wondering if he's being delusional.

I know that the emissions crap, linkages, etc. are different and he won't be able to use the vette motor as is. I'm also concerned that the trucks intake won't bolt to the vette block's heads because the bolts are different. Am I wrong? Should I push him to get a crate motor?

He's starting to take the front clip off to make it easier to get the motor out, and thankfully there's a place up the street that sells sheetmetal and bolt kits, cause the truck has never been taken apart so I'm sure he'll hafta burn off most of his bolts. Any other tips I can share with this guy to make his life easier? He's not a car guy in the strictest sense, but he does want to hang onto his burb.

Tom

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Depends on the year of vette' whether its a bolt on or not .

But I figure if a guy can take an older intake and waller out holes for them to fit on new heads , why can't it work the other way around ?

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

save your money and wait till he fs it up and buy it from him. if he is that car dumb then offer to do it for him and tell him it will save him time and money in the longrun.:D

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

It does not depend on what year it is, no vette engine is the same as the truck engines. My girlfriend's dad has an 82 vette and it has the crossfire fuel injection. What this basically looks like is two normal GM TBI fuel injectors but they are on opposite corners of the engine, hence the crossfire name. Everything might plug together but you would probably have to extend some wires. I dont think it would be a good choice for a truck engine because, like any car engine, they are designed with high-end horsepower in mind and not low end torque. He should be able to bolt a regular TBI intake manifold on though.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I was assuming he would use ALL his externals :k5: :k5: