Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my new 14ff

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FatBoyBlazer, Dec 13, 2001.

1. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

alright i've got a 14ff form the junk yard today, the one they got was a 14sf, so they went dow and got another, but it was a 14ff out of a 1 ton, will it bolt up????

hola

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>No. You need to have the spring pads cut off and re-welded. If it was a 3/4 ton, it would bolt right up

3. FatBoyBlazer

how hard is that to do what tools do i need

hola

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

You need a right angle-grinder and a welder.
    They sell replacement spring perches at 4WPW and lots of places that are beefier than stock. Might as well have those welded on instead of the stock ones.
    It would have been better for you if you had got one from a 3/.4 ton 73-80 2wd or 4wd. Direct bolt-in unless you coubnt the yoke being 1350, but that's positive. I just bought a 1350 yoke for the 205.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> Married to a woman who understands the need for <font color=orange>Hugger Orange. [​IMG] <font color=blue>

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Yeah, you need to use a grinder with a cutting wheel. It will take soem time to get them off. You can use a torch as well, but you need to be carefull to not over heat the tubes.
    As far as getting replacement perches for the 14 bolt....Good luck. I searched and searched, but no one I found had them for the huge tube diameter. All I found was that you can get some for a 12 bolt and then you would have to grind the diameter out a bit so they will sit flush on the tube.
    Once you get to where they fit right then you need to make sure you have the axle centered right, in addition to using an angle finder to make sure your angles are right for the process of welding them back on. The chock mounts will need to be moved as well. They are a bit easier to remove and replace. If you take your time you can re-use the old perches, you just have to be more carefully removing them.
    I personally had some made by a killer fabricator. Theu are in fact a one of a kind. IE, "BOMB PROOF" but he no longer makes them. Hope this gives you an idea on whats involved.

Still hoping the GOV'T will ban the use of loud stereos with RAP music. [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

7. FatBoyBlazer

so can i use the old spring perches?????

hola