Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My new 383 fired up!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SnackPack, Sep 16, 2005.

1. SnackPack

SnackPack 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I got some good news. I finished hooking everything up on my new stroker rebuild... so naturally I fired it up. It runs!

I've got the headers uncapped until I can get this down to the muffler shop to hook up to my exhaust, so it's nice and loud.

There's a few things I noticed, though... I was trying to keep it at about 2000 RPM for the proper cam breakin, but it then stumbles and cuts out after a minute or two. Also, the oil pressure guage is pegged at above 60. I saw in another post that this could be normal on newly built engines.

I'd like to fire it up again for some more diagnosis, but the already-weak battery won't start it up at the moment, so I'm charging the battery.

I'm also assuming the occaisonal loud pop from the uncapped headers is normal as well?

What do you guys think about these issues?

*update* forgot to mention that I did get a new heated o2 sensor... grounded it underneath and plugged the postive into the ECM fuse.

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Very nice. I finally talked myself out of a carb'd 454 and going with a TBI 383 instead.

I don't know about any of the issues as I have not had to deal with them, just wanted to congradulate ya on the progress.

3. 88-383

88-383 1/2 ton status

Congrats with the new engine build ;) it's a very satisfying feeling. As for your probs, Did you build it with a High pressure oil pump or stock? Above 60psi is sounds high to me for 2000rpm.

The rule of thumb is 10psi per 1000rpm. There shold be a pressure relief valve under the oil filter. I assume this was all put back with care?

Did you get the timming light on it while it was running? Did you have a chance to verify the fuel pressure? That's all I can think of right now.

KM

4. SnackPack

SnackPack 1/2 ton status

Thanks... I really don't have the means now to time it (no assistant at the moment). I'll get my buddy over here tomorrow and we'll run it with a timing gun and check the injectors and plugs.

I used a summit stock replacement oil pump. Also, the pressure reads at just above 60 even when the motor is off. But I've seen a couple posts that this is normal. I'm thinking the cutoff after a couple minutes is timing, cuz just before it died once I smelled some rich exhaust.

I'll also double check the o2 sensor heater voltage... but how would one check the actually o2 sensor reading?

5. FastMaxx

FastMaxx Registered Member

dont think thats posible. If its the stock oil pressure guage it could be one of the sending unit wires are grounding out or cut. Turn the ignition on and see if it pegs out, if so then you have a short. If it is a mechanical guage then there might be other problems :eek1: .