Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My new $800 blazer pics.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Apr 3, 2005.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Departure angle doesn't look so good with that winch hanging there!!!! But 800 for a truck with two winches, now thats a sweet score. :D

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

not too shabby! THe body is pretty darn rusty, but what can you do. What happened to the dash over there? The engine and stuff looks like its in good shape... (and two winches but no big tires/lift?)

4. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

depareting with any of the interior stuff? :grin:

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

damn you said the body was bad but thats nasty. I'll take the steering wheel if you'll take the cost of shipping :D

6. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It is funny how people have the mentality that a whole truck is worth less than all the parts and pieces. Good score for $800. There are a number of things you can do with that truck or its parts.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Eh yes and no. Have you ever seen it when someone thinks the truck IS worth the bits and pieces? I've pulled over to look at trucks I thought were nice, and gotten sticker shock at something like $5,000 on the window of an 85 K10 thats not even that nice. Why? Cause they just put a $3,000 motor in it and a $1,000 tranny in last year.

8. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Great score. Wish I could find something like that around ehre. I wouldn't have been able to turn that thing away even with all the rust. Has alot of potential going for it and the interior is nice........... Wish mine had that nice of interior when I bought it.

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just saw an advertisment in the classifieds for 1997 Vortec 350 (complete with all accessories) for $800 O.B.O, and on the next page was a 1996 Chevy pick-up truck being sold for $1100 O.B.O with (you geussed it) a Vortec 350 :grin:.

I know what you mean though. I am not going to pay $4000 for a worn out pile of cr*p just because they paid Meineke Mufflers $980 to put new brakes and a muffler on it :D.

10. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

That's what happened to me... cept the seller lied to me... said he was looking for 4100... I nearly walked away, but asked him what he had done... said new 465 tranny (was a TH350 I think is 86, right?) and the motor only had like 20k miles on it... the truck only have 48k original miles, and it looked like there was no rust anywhere on the truck.... We are in Wisconsin, so this is starting to look like a nice truck considering where we are, and I tell the guy I'm interested, but that 4100 is too much.

I get my wife there to look at it, the guy fires it up for us, and I drive it with the PO following with his wife in his car, to my mechanic for an inspection. As soon as they lifted the truck, I realized what I had... A rusting chassis and frame, thought the body was still straight... good tread on the rubber, good leaf springs all around, but the bottom looked a bit iffy... like it was ready to fall out. The tailgate had been replaced with a manual crank because the electric motor went out, everything was painted Fire Engine Red, and the whole truck had brand new carpet in it... On top of it all, it was a 327 rather than the pos 305 the VIN number said it had... so I had to believe the guy on the 20k on the motor. After looking over everything, the shop guys said they wouldn't pay more than 2500 for it.

I walked out of the shop to talk to the PO and said I'd be willing to pay him 2000, and he said no way... I said 2500, and he said no... I said 2700, and he said no again, and then I told him that I would be happy to pay for the gas for the trip to the shop. After explaining all the work I'd have to do (without even knowing yet about the fully bondo'd floor bed) and that said work would cost me in parts alone at least 1500, he agreed the same night to the 2700... I drove back to his house, gave him 200, and he wrote a contract for the sale. I brought the 2500 the next day and drove it away. The "as is" on the contract should have been a dead giveaway...

Then the problems started. I immediately towed 2 tons of rock from Milwaukee to my house, which is about 60 miles... While driving, I started hearing strange noises like there were rocks in the wheels (I don't have hubcaps... ) Finally, I got off the highway, slowed down, and the truck stopped without the brakes... Odd I thought, that shouldn't happen... I got the rock home, dropped off the trailer, and went to the station. The guys told me the rear end was ripped apart worse than they'd ever seen one due to the driveshaft nut coming lose inside the diff and getting caught on the spider gears... it completely ripped them apart.

Now, after the rear end, engine, clutch, radiator, carb, and soon the new metal I'm getting for the bed, I'll have over $10,000 invested in this truck... and all I wanted was a DD for $2700...

11. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Sweet score. Lots go goodies on there you can use! :D

12. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

This truck is bring rape for parts.

1989 Chevy K5 Blazer Silverado, Silver with Grey/Silver interior
    6.2L Diesel
    TH700r4
    NP241
    31" Uniroyal's

Now the good stuff...
    Warn MX8000 winch up front with a Warn winch mount that bolts to the front of a stock bumper.
    Another winch behind the rear bumper, unknown brand, cannot see it, but does not work.
    Prestine Grey interior, dash is mint and is not cracked or even scratched!
    New radio.
    2 brand new batteries.
    Rebuilt injector pump.

Going to put as much of the Grey truck as pissible into the Green one below.

[​IMG]

13. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Let me know if you want to sell anything you dont use. :) (The front light conversion comes to mind! lol) :D

14. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

New pics at the top.

15. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Cool. It's a Limited Edition! :woot: :saweet:

16. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Don't forget about the hydroboost brakes.
    Nice grab for $800.00

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Not a bad score!

I think it was a decent deal!--the motor alone would sell for that ina junkyard in my area if it runs!..Cant beat a diesel! ;)

I like the bucket loader! :cool1: --I had a 600 series ford tractor with a wagner loader made of pipes!--it worked good,but had no down pressure,and it was a "trip" bucket converted to hydraulic...I still kick myself for selling it,I got it to help build my garage,after all the work and landscaping was done,and I had replaced 1 rim and tire for 400 bucks,and it sat for a year or so,I figured I'd better sell it before it went south from sitting...got 2500 bucks for it,paid 1800...I wish I had it now,it would be handy to pick the cab and bed off the truck I'm scrapping now--had to do it the hard way..cant find anything with a bucket that runs for 3 grand now.. :frown1:

18. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

you wanna sell those seats? :D

19. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Complete interior is already sold. :D