Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My *new* antique furniture... pics

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by divorced, Sep 28, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I just got this old bedroom set given to me, and I'm sure not many of you care, but I'm proud of it. I just like old things... trucks, furniture, buildings, etc. Some pics have white colored dots because of my cheapo camera. It looks like a lot of work went into making it, and in the close up detail pic it looks like many small pieces of wood, about 1/8" to 1/4" thick, were used to make the pattern. The bed frame is all wood, no metal rails. It's in good condition for over 50 years old. I'm not sure if it's worth anything, but it's cool to me, and some of the nicest stuff I've ever owned. I think my membership is "expired" soon, so I won't be able to post in the Lounge for a while, so thanks for looking ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is an old chest given to me also, it needs a bit of work to the top edge of the front, otherwise it's in good shape. I think it might be from Virginia :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Those are Art Deco pieces from the 30's - 40's. The design is called waterfall, taken from the way the top front of the high boy chest curves. BTW, the handles on the chest are probably worth as much or more than the piece itself. In L.A., $30 or more each as a matched set.

Very nice stuff. Enjoy it! :waytogo:

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the info. I guess these pieces are a bit older than I though. I asked my Grandma how old they are, and she said "over 50 years old, but I don't know for sure" They've been handed down through the family a few times, hopefully I'll be around another 40 years or so to enjoy them... then they will be handed down again.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Every pice of furniture in our house is an antique that my wife found, bought cheap, and worked her a$$ off to refinish. The set you got is very nice and would have cost you a bundle. It is also hard to find in that condition. Antique furniture is great IMO. Nice score. :waytogo:

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I have been around antique furniture all my life. My folks had 2 shops in OKC for years. That really is a beautiful set you have there. Any good woodworking supplyn place can sell you a piece of veneer to fix that chest. Great score!!! Did you look on the backs for the paper sticker with the manu's name?

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That "hope chest" is very similar to the one my wife has, handed down from her grandmother. The main difference is the face of her's is burled.

I looked for an antique bedroom set when we were in the market, they were more than new ones. I ended up buying a reproduction. It was good enough that a few people asked me who refinished it. I still would have rather have had an original. The family aspect of your set makes it even better. Or it would to me anyway.

7. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Maybe the white dots are ghosts that came with the set!!! :eek1: :p:

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

If you ever decide to sell it you'll make good money.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

VERY nice!!

I like the furniture!--true "old world" craftsmanship--a far cry from from the waferboard and fake wood crap we get nowadays..I had an antique RCA radio that had a similar case --..

Looks like one of those chests and bedroom sets you'd see on "Antique Roadshow" that are worh thousands!..furniture sells for crazy prices sometimes..I know one guy who bought an aincient chair at a yard sale in Newport RI for 50 bucks..and it turned out to be a very rare one,that was the missing one to a set a collector was searching for..got over 10 grand for it! :eek1: :bow:

Wish I'd make a score like that... :doah: :crazy:

10. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

furniture

Sweet !!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

11. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Great looking set. I had one very similar to that in college, and left it in the apartment when I moved :rolleyes:

My roomate and I only paid $300 bucks for the 5 piece set, I wonder what it would be worth now?

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What ?? couldn't afford new ?? J/K, that looks nice, I've always like the classic stuff like that.

13. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Thanks everyone for the compliments, I was afraid when posting that nobody else would be "in to" this stuff.

I didn't have too much time to check it out, but while moving it I didn't notice any name on it anywhere. We were running short on time and had to just move it in and set it in place.

:haha: :haha: :haha: I hope not! My camera does that sometimes, I'm not sure why though... maybe it is ghosts? :dunno:

That would be cool if it's worth some crazy amount of $$$. I wish I would come across a set of $10,000 chairs... [dreaming] Dana 60, 454... [/dreaming] :D

With the prices of today's stuff, affording new would be out of my financial capacity. Even if I could afford new, the old stuff has a certain "cool" factor that I like. Example: When I leave for work I always get in my rusty old '72 instead of my excellent condition '95.