Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My New Baby Girl

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TSGB, Oct 1, 2005.

1. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Her name is Fifi, and she has a 20" barrel.

[​IMG]

I'm so excited, I can't wait to take her out. I'm thinking either a top-folding stock with a pistol grip, or just a plain pistol grip are in my future.

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

1. Quit being wierd

2. Folding maybe, pistol NO

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Yeah, I've been reading tonight, and finding pistol grips less attractive. Maybe a folder. Probably ghost ring sights, and definitely a mounted light.

And a bandolier.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm This site is amazing, and investigates the penetration of a number of different rounds.

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Learn a good lesson that took me a while... don't spend time and money on googahs and accesories, they make you look like an armchair commando. Spend your time and money on practive, training, and maintenance.

5. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Looks good to me the way it is.. :dunno:

But, I guess I'm sort of a simple feller..

6. FreedomIsntFree

FreedomIsntFree 1/2 ton status

Truer words have not been spoken. Pistol grip/folder/shell holder/forehand light/etc/etc will do you NO good if you can't shoot it. Get a shoulder pad and practice your buckshot and slugs. Get good and accurate cuz you never know when you will need it.

7. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Thanks guys. I'm going to verse myself before I buy any doodads. Trying to talk my stepdad into going shooting tomorrow, but it depends on whether I'm working on my car, and the weather. Bought a box of 150 Federal 2 3/4 8 shot shells for $20 bucks, and I need to put a dent in it soon.

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

IMHO, I'd use 8's or 9's for home defense rather than solid projectiles. At that close of a range a shotgun, no matter how short the barrel, isn't very manuverable. I'd think a cylinder choke and a load of nines would have a way better chance of making contact and taking someone down than some 00.

9. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I know you're talking about 9 shot rounds, but this would probably still illustrate the difference between buck and bird shot. It's off that site I posted higher:

Birdshot as a Defense Load
    I have had a lot of questions, summed up as follows: How effective is birdshot (#4, #6, #8, etc.) as a defense load?

We have done tests with various birdshot loads. Birdshot penetrated through two pieces of drywall (representing one wall) and was stopped in the paper on the front of the second wall. The problem with birdshot is that it does not penetrate enough to be effective as a defense round. Birdshot is designed to bring down little birds.

A policeman told of seeing a guy shot at close range with a load of 12 gauge birdshot, and was not even knocked down. He was still walking around when the EMTs got there. It was an ugly, shallow wound, but did not STOP the guy. And that is what we want... to STOP the bad guy from whatever he is doing. To do this, you must have a load that will reach the vitals of the bad guy. Birdshot will not do this.

In fact, tests have shown that even #4 Buckshot lacks the necessary penetration to reach the vital organs. Only 0 Buck, 00 Buck, and 000 Buck penetrate enough to reach the vital organs.

Unless you expect to be attacked by little birds, do not use birdshot. Use 00 Buck. It will do the job.

But doesn't 00 Buck penetrate too much in interior walls to be a "safe" load in a home?
    Yes, it does penetrate a lot. But any load that is going to be effective will need to penetrate walls to have enough power to penetrate bad guys. If our only concern was to be sure we didn't penetrate walls, we would use BB guns. However, BB guns will not stop bad guys.

Therefore, we must use loads that will STOP bad guys, and this means that they will also penetrate walls. So, be sure you hit the bad guy and do not shoot into walls where loved ones are on the other side.

Just posting what I read... No offense.

10. FreedomIsntFree

FreedomIsntFree 1/2 ton status

I just suggest those loads because of more kick. It's always nice to know exactly what to expect because one shot could throw you off. So practice hard and shoot light...kinda

11. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Good point. :waytogo:

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I use 3" mag steel bb. Improved cyl. Yes it's bird shot. Yes it will bring down an intruder. No, I don't need sights. :D

Only problem is you hit everything around, so you have to know whats there.

13. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Looks like a Mossberg 500. Ive got a Remington 870 Express Magnum 12 gauge. Got it for a little over $200. I too bought the pistol grips, but soon found out I do not like shooting from the hip. I bought a good synthetic stock with a forend that did not overlap the magazine tube to prevent clothing, etc... from getting caught in it. It also has a 2 shot mag extension (had to buy a magazine tube dent remover from Brownells to get the spring keeper out and the new spring keeper in). Its got an 18" barrel. Speedloader bolted onto the side.

I keep it for home defense and general stuff. For hunting, ive got different barrels.

For rounds, ive got:

7 Winchester Law Enforcement Reduced Recoil 00 Buckshot 2 3/4" in the magazine.

6 Remington Premuim Rifled Slugs 2 3/4" in the speedloader.

5 Winchester Super X 00 Buckshot 3" Magnum on an elastic cuff on the butt.

That should cover any base I should need...

14. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

TSGB, it's a very good point, but unless someone was coming into my home to solely commit murder, I doubt that they'd keep coming at me after taking a load of 9's to any part of the body. What range were the tests done at? I'd be curious to know because I've seen Hevi-Shot 3 1/2" #6 turkey loads go clean through through three pieces of plywood at 30 yards. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison but it looked from the pattern like they had plenty of energy left on the backside. My main side of the argument is that you have to connect to be effective, the flip side is that if it's just a sting, it's not gonna stop anyone.

This could go back and forth on many different points and with all that being said...there's a Glock .45 ACP in my closet. :haha: