Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my new baby wont start!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dysphemism, Mar 8, 2003.

1. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

ok I recently acquired a new blazer. 1972, 454, sm465, 1 ton, 42's. I was driving it around and was hitting speed bumps about avg. speed. But the suspension is pretty darned stiff, its about a 9" spring lift. Well I think I knocked something loose, because it died and wouldn't start after I hit a few of them. What should I check? I have an msd ignition box, with msd plug wires. It wont even turn over when I turn the key. It's totally dead, but the electrical is still fine, so the battery isn't dead. Any clues on what to check? I'm going to have to get it going by tm, its in a school parking lot. Should I just beat the crap out of the starter solenoid or what? Any help is appreciated.

2. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

I would clean the battery posts and throw some new cables on it just for good measure. Are you sure the altanator was charging and the battery was not run down? Do you have lights? I know my old 76 with a big block flat would not turn over after driving more then 45 minuts because the exhaust would get the starter hot. when it cooled it fired right up.

3. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

I have to agree - a loose connection at (or wires leading to) the distributor would still allow it to turn over just not start. Loose or dirty battery cables will usually still allow the lights to come on but turn the key and nothing.

good luck

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Doesn't turn over, but has electricity? Check the solenoid on the starter to ensure that the wire leading to the S terminal hasn't bounced off if the thing won't even make a clicking sound.

If it will make some noise when you put the ignition into the Start position, you likely have a bad solenoid or a jammed one. Replace the solenoid and starter if that's the case.

5. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

I'll have to second what Steve said. That's exactly what happened to me the first spin I took after the engine swap. The wire pulled out of the crimp lug and I had exactly what you described.

6. dysphemism

ok im going to run down with my tools and check it out now. Ill check all the wiring on it and get back to you guys. Thanks for the help.

7. dysphemism

ok I wiggled all the wires around, pushed them in tight, and she fired right up! I was jazzed. I think it was a loose connection, thats what scott (4x4high) said it probably was. So thanks again all you guys who responded.