Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my new blazer is trail ready

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jstevenj, Aug 26, 2004.

1. jstevenj

jstevenj Registered Member

Just finished work on my 87 Blazer. It has the following mods:
    - 205/400 tcase, tranny
    - dana 60 front w/ air locker, 35 sp stubs, 1410 drive shaft
    - 14b rear w/ disc brakes and detroit, 1350 drive shaft
    - rear shackle reversal
    - 3" body lift
    - total of about 10-12" lift
    - cross over steering
    - hydro assist steering - this is the way to go
    - twin stick shifter
    - 42" swampers
    - mile marker 12000# hydraulic winch
    - custom front and rear bumpers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

But is it trail rated? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

That's 12" of lift?

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

That thing looks sick. Now that it's trail ready make sure you take lots of pic's of those smooth and shiny body lines, you will want to see them from time to time /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Cool! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Have you been hiding out here and taking notes or what.
    Sounds like you did it right but you still might need a little /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif to the fenders though.
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    BTW, "87"s are sweet /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    Now all you need to do is bring it out to Blazer Bash and try it on the trails. Let us be the judge .... Hehe

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

He's probably including some sort of body lift

That's a damn nice truck!

6. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looks great man. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Where in Miss. are you? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. jstevenj

I've cut the front fenders by a few inches already. I thought I had enough but when I found this place to twist it up I saw that I sould have cut a little more. I can turn the wheels a little without hitting the finders but not all the way, and I was twisted to the max - the rear wheel was slightly off the ground in the pictures.

12" lift?? I'm not sure exactly what I have. I put 2.5" nylon pucks under the body and used 8" springs in the front. Notice in the last pic where I extended the front spring mounts down by 3". This allowed me to remove a leaf from the front pack to make them more flexable - and no sway bar. I have stock rear springs with an add-a-leaf along with the skackle reversal and 2.5" blocks which also move the rear back about 2" to recenter it with the fenders. The front is also moved forward 1" to center with the fenders.

I'm in northeast MS, New Albany.

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Nice mount for the ram, did you build it?

BTW - nice truck!

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    - rear shackle reversal

[/ QUOTE ]

What you mean to say is shackle flip, reversal would be moving the shackle to the other end of the spring.

Looks good, nicely done /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

really they could mean the samething its just what the companies that made them decided to call it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Think about it, if you flip the shackle you are reversing its previous location so it is a shackle reversal.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No, a shackle reversal is like what is common on Fords pre 99 and should be common on jeeps, where you move the shackle to the other end of the spring.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

did you read my post at all? The company that made it chose to call it that. If they hadn't done that maybe Stephen would have called the ORD flip a reversal and everyone would say we are stupid for sayng Flip instead of Reversal. Its all just semantics.

13. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Nice lookin rig

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    did you read my post at all? The company that made it chose to call it that. If they hadn't done that maybe Stephen would have called the ORD flip a reversal and everyone would say we are stupid for sayng Flip instead of Reversal. Its all just semantics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose, but based on what we commonly call it, it obvious to see why a correction was made and clarfication necessary.

15. jstevenj

reversal... flip... I rotated it from pointing up to pointing down. You can kinda see in this picture. I cut thru the existing mount and then boxed in the top where it used to be mounted. I also cut and extended the existing shackle, making it 1.5" longer. Yes, I made the cylinder mount as well as all the mod's, crossover arm, tierod, steering arm which is mounted to the stock 4x4 box. You can also see some of the front fender trimming.
    [​IMG]

16. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

pics not working

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

woah thats an awesome k5!!/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

18. richheezee

richheezee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    reversal... flip... I rotated it from pointing up to pointing down. You can kinda see in this picture. I cut thru the existing mount and then boxed in the top where it used to be mounted. I also cut and extended the existing shackle, making it 1.5" longer. Yes, I made the cylinder mount as well as all the mod's, crossover arm, tierod, steering arm which is mounted to the stock 4x4 box. You can also see some of the front fender trimming.
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

can you give more info on the steering arm? how to? /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

19. jstevenj

The steering arm is milled from a solid chunk of steel. I made a broach to finish out the splined hole where it goes on the steering box - just rotated it 90 degrees. I also built 3" of drop into it. I've sold a few of them but I haven't really advertised them because they take so much time to cut out. At $150, they're kinda hi but compared to the combined cost of a drop pitman arm and swapping output shafts or swapping the whole steering box it's not too bad. I'll try to get a better pic posted.

20. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I feel bad for your front driveshaft /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif That's quite an operating angle. I'm sure mine will be just about the same when I'm finished. I'll have an SM465 with a 205, Dana 60 and 6" of lift. Hopefully I'll get creative enough to clear my 44's without adding more lift, tippy trucks make my shorts brown /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Nice looking rig though, I love homebuilt parts! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif