Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My new Cummins

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by K5MONSTERCHEV, Jun 21, 2006.

1. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Well after looking for some time I found one. I got a 2001 Cummins HO last week. Crew cab, longbed, 4x4, 6 speed, fully loaded VERY well maintained with 102K on it. I absolutely love it. Its hard to find anything but a white automatic. What do you think? I am going to do some mods to get a little more power and mileage.

I wouldnt say its a "towrig" to me yet, its more for hauling our bikes, but one day we plan to get a toy hauler.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  2. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Congrats on your new rig! You'll love the way it pulls!

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey butthead, I wrote you a novel of a PM for info and no response.:shame: :haha:

Good find man, clean looking truck.

What do I think? I think you got the wrong transmission.:D Although I like my dad's H.O/6spd like yours, I prefer the modified autos myself.

I bought my '01 S.O. auto with 101K, and the truck was/is like brand new. I'm sure yours is the same. Leather or cloth? Early '01 or late 01? I like the rims, what size tires? Gear ratio? FUEL PRESSURE at the VP44?????:crazy:

Here's a shot of mine when I bought it off the lot.
    [​IMG] current.
    [​IMG]

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

NO WAY!! You PM'ed me back?? I never got a response and when I looked on your profile it said somehting to the extent of you were no longer a member. That truck in my last PM was a scam, and I had a little fun with the scammer.

NO way man, I didnt want an auto, im all about sticks, plus thats what I work on all day, manuals. It was a PITA to find anything but a WHITE AUTO!! lol.

Mine is an early 01, drum brakes, 3.55's (so it says) has 102K on it and it is like brand new too, a few dings here and there but oh well. Its pretty much stock. It has a Line X bed liner, a Power Puck (cant find any info on that) diff wheels and tires which at first I didnt like but they are growing on me (295s =32's), guages. It is fully loaded, which is SWEET!!!!!!!!! I LOVE the seats!! Rides super nice too.

Yeah I did a lot of research since then. I dont know about PSI at the VP44 but I am going to put a FASS on it in the next couple of weeks. Ill do Do some intake and exhaust down the line with some injectors and a Gear Vendors. I want so get some more power and mileage.

What do you get for mileage? DO you have MBRP exhaust?

5. rjfguitar

You did't get my PM.....:eek1: Dang, I spent like 1/2hour writing that. It was seriously LONG...:haha:

So you've got guages and a Power puck. That is a good start, especially with the guages. I don't know anything about the power puck, except that very few people like them or run them. Power Puck, hypertech, super chips, Jet...these products aren't very popular.

There are basically four products for electronic performance that dominates VP44 trucks like Ours.
    Most popular,
    Edge....The Comp box is the most widely used box but is being caught up with the new Juice. The EZ has also been very popular for simplicity and the towing crowd.
    http://www.edgeproducts.com/

The new Smarty from MADS electronics. It is in a class of it's own and is hugely popular.
    http://www.madselectronics.com/products.html

The TST powermax. It is a big high powered box like the Edge Comp, Drag comp, and Juice. It lacks timing though and is a fueling only box. Their competition powermax is wild, and fuels to 4K IIRC...
    http://www.tstproducts.com/

Van Aaken. They have been somewhat fairly popular in the past, but seem to be losing popularity.

If it was me I would probably ditch the Power puck eventually and go with a Juice or a Smarty, especially with a standard trans. So what do you have for guages? I take it you don't have fuel pressure, BDpower makes a simple LED light. If you hit 5psi the light comes on. It's a heck of a lot cheaper at $50.

If you go with a decent injector 80+HP, with even just the power puck, you will likely run into clutch slipping issues. My dad put a South Bend Con OFE in his 2002 H.O. and it's a nice clutch. Less pedal pressure than stock and smoother.

As for my mileage, I get 21-22mpg on the highway in IDEAL conditions. I get about 14-16 in town. I have a heavy foot. Last weekend I ran up to Redding for the J&H diesel rally and got into a ton of traffic, lost in town looking for an address, fogged for mosquitos leaving the Redding drag strip, ran 80+mph between Chico and Redding, and still managed 20.4mpg average over the 500 mile trip.

I have the MBRP 5" exhaust, BHAF, Edge HOT Juice, and a built auto.

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

Yeah, I figured the Power Puck wasnt too cool since I cant find a lick of info on it. I wouldnt buy any of those little programmers like JEGS, hypertech, ect, I know there are better products out there. I am most likely going to get the Edge.

I ordered a FASS today, just the pump no filters. I will put a Fuel PSI light in. I have EGT and Boost Auto meters in it now. I am doing the FASS very first because of all the nightmares I have heard about lift pump failures, and it looks like maybe my VP44 has already been changed?!?! SO I am all about preventative maintenance.

As for Injectors, there are so many I just dont kow which are good, they all claim theirs are the best. I want somehting that will give me better mileage. Nothing too crazy, I figure 100HP is about the limit. As for a clutch, thats not a problem, I work on sticks. I know we had a HIGH HP/TQ Cummins that did tractor pulls with a dual disc MC Cloud.

I have been doing a lot of reading on TDR and Dodge Diesel.org.

I was told AFE makes good intakes and I was going to get a 4" MBRP, read lots of good stuff about them and it seems almost everyone has their exhaust. Sounds decent too, not too loud (form what I heard on the internet). Dont want to go with a company like Magnaflow, edelbrock, dynomax, ect, LAME!

7. rjfguitar

The FASS....I would personally go with the system with the filters. This enables you to do away with the stock element filter that is rather small. The spin on filters are really nice. One thing I don't like about the FASS is the noise level. I have only heard one truck with the FASS running, but it was a noisy sucker, too loud for my taste.
    The stock lift pump actually works fairly well, up until 375HP or so. Most people get 50-100K out of a pump, on average. I have no plans of changing out mine.

Injectors.

There are basically two types of injectors.
    1. extrude honed. This is basically taking a stock injector, pushing an abrasive fluid through the injector at a high speed, and it basically wallows out the stock nozzle holes. These are usually the cheaper injectors, and may or may not cause some smoking at idle depending on the stage. They usually come in 3 stages or so.

2. EDM's. Do you know what an EDM machine is? It cuts metals with a lazer. A virgin nozzle with no holes is taken and holes are then placed where ever the performance manufacturer wants them, and as many as they want, at any spray pattern. Meaning, instead of making 5 holes just bigger like an extruded nozzle, they can just add one extra hole, or two. Usually they are larger holes though. Anothe rbig thing with the EDM style is the spray angle. They say they can gain power without extra fuel and smoke just by changing the angle of the spray! Usually you see a better mileage increase out of EDM injectors, since the spray pattern is different.

Formula 1 are big into the EDM injectors and their Mach line sells well. My dad has a set of Mach 1's in his H.O. (65HP). Think the biggest injector is a Mach 7, which is 210HP ?.?

MBRP is a fairly loud system. I'll let you in on a secret, most of the mufflers out there are the same thing from multiple companies. MBRP, Banks, BullyDog, Diamond Eye...they use very similar parts. MBRP an Diamond Eye offer better value over some other brands IMHO.

As far as the intake, There are a lot of options here, just like the exhaust. AFE and Scotty are the most popular aftermarket units. The scotty sucks from the cowl, but you have to cut a hole in your firewall for the inlet and I hear the whistle is stupid loud inside the cab.

The home made BHAF (big honkin' air filter) is a very popular choice that is a cheap alternative. It consists of a huge Donoldson universal cylinder filter that as a 4" inlet with a lip on it. You slide a piece of 2" long 4" exhaust pipe into the filter and onto your intake tube. This gives a flange for both pieces to grip. You then can purchase a heatshield from a guy on a few different diesel forums, but I wanted something better like the AFE style and made my own. For I have a whole $65 in my intake setup, along with a dew hours labor. If I really wanted to flow lots of air I would have just ordered an Amsoil washable guaze filter like the AFE/K&N/Volant instead of the BHAF and had the same thing.
    [​IMG]

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

Yeah the F1's I have heard about them the most. Probablly like the 95HP's would be fine. Is that also Don M?

As for the exhaust, I assumed there were la handful of companies, there cant be THAT much difference. There is so much repackaging going on, I see it everyday. I would rather get a decent exhaust from MBRP, who I have heard good things about, then to get some of those other brands kits. I actually taled to a muffler shop who we deal with today, asked him if he sold diesel exhaust and what brand, he told me Magnaflow, I asked thats all and he told me how they were the best. I guess I just feel that I like the idea of products fomr a company with diesel as their game, not som ebig company who jsut added a nother product to their line like Magnaflow, dynomax, Edlebrock, etc, etc, you kow what I mean im sure, same thing goes with the tuners.

BHAF, I have seen alot of people whith that in their sig. I might just do that. So I can get a canister reusable filter, muffler pipe, some hose clamps and a sheild, sounds good. How loud is it?

9. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

10. rjfguitar

Yep, DonM does the Mach line. I would go with MBRP, all they do is diesel exhaust and snowmobile exhaust, like you said. Magnaflow is fine, but a good friend of mine has their kit with duals and it's too quiet.

The BHAF is a decent intake. You can use the 2790 filter like I did, or go a better route. Amsoil has introduced a new filter line. It out flows the paper style 2790 that is usually used with the BHAF mod, but doesn't flow quite as much as the oil guage type filters. The difference is the Amsoil filters actually....filter the air....:wink1: The media is a thin nanofiber material designed by Donoldson and is reusable by just blowing it out with air. I kind of wish I would have went with one, but they had just come out with the line when I was doing my BHAF. Plus, they only come in blue, I want red....:haha:
    [​IMG]
    How loud is the BHAF? Pretty freakin' loud if you take out your silencer ring. I took my ring out long ago. The whistle sounds good.

If you don't do the mod soon, and have to come somewhere out here East of you, or I have to go West, you are welcome to ride in/drive mine to see if it's too loud or not.;)

11. rjfguitar

12. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

to dredge up this one for a minute, The BHAF.

I'm about to set one up for my '98. rjfguitar, that sheild you made up, is the only thing holding up the element the 4" exhaust tube in the inlet? or are you resting it on the bottom. anything else holding it down?

thanks.