Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My new Diff Covers !!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pauly383, Apr 23, 2004.

1. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well after work today I went by hossbaby50's and picked up some new stylin' diff covers. I have no welding skills yet, nor power ran to my garage , so after seeing his I had him do mine. Turned out awesome /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif Hes only gonna get better at it and has a bright future /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Heres the handiwork, excuse the lighting (front porch with flash at 10 pm) they are Desert Tan colored /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif nice, I need to do mine soon

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Glad you like them Paul. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

That is 1/4" plate strapping the ring gears, just FYI.

Harley

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Now don't you go scratchin them things up on rocks now, ya here? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

I will expect those things to stay lookin like they are in the pics for a long time. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If anyone is interested in having some covers plated PM me. We can talk.

Harley

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Looks good Paul, nice work Harley /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I love these, now I have to extend my vents, finally redo my rear shock mounts, and my inner front seals need replaced, not putting the front on only to remove it again soon. Now I want sliders /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I just did that to my covers. I used 1/8" strips though because that's all my welder can handle /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif (it's small, inadequate and sometimes stops working at the most inoppropriate times!)

9. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

What do you do to these covers?
    Is that a stock cover with some flat stock welded on to protect the ring gear?

10. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What do you do to these covers?
    Is that a stock cover with some flat stock welded on to protect the ring gear?

[/ QUOTE ]
    you got it... cheap trick isn't it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just did that to my covers. I used 1/8" strips though because that's all my welder can handle /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif (it's small, inadequate and sometimes stops working at the most inoppropriate times!)

[/ QUOTE ]
    For diff covers (and other non structural items) you can cheat a lot when plating them. 1/4" will be held on plenty well even with the tiny welders out there. I use a little 110V flux welder (rated for 3/16") and have had no trouble putting 1/2" ring gear plates on the diff cover. I would not reccomend this for shackles and such but the diff covers are a great starter fab project (they have real use on a truck and are a safe way to field test your welds). Just try not to blow holes in them when welding

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Well i went over this weekend to help him with h is shock mounts, with my little 110 volt arc/rod welder, and it just wouldn't do the job, we were going to cut off the lower shock mount on the drivers side and reweld it up alittle higher and towards the rear so he could flip his shock over to m atch the other side. Then we tried just welding a couple of plates to the mount to basically extend the mount out far enough for the shock to mount on correctly, didn't wor either. It needs a good quality welder for this job. Sorry Paul, just not the right kind of welder for the job i guess, hell, i'm still wondering about the welds on my bully bar. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif