Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My New House

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Dec 14, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hey all, just taking over the whole house today... We've been renting a tiny small portion ofthe first floor for 5 years, now we're buying the whole place.

http://ice.prohosting.com/ratchy/house/index.html

Hey Wes, WillysWanter,

Got any tips to start me off with?

BTW, Wes, take a look at the curves the cieling has in it. Those are what I'm trying to duplicate. The corner wall I can just make a sharp 90 degree, but I want to leave the wall-to-cieling smooth curves. I gotta go dig up that thread to remember what you said to use...

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Now, ole Bubba Ray would be slap happy in a single wide on about 5 acres with a mongo shop, but that place y'all got there is pretty good looking. Gonna have a housewarming party? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Wow!! That house is gorgeous! Beautiful! A great base to start with. Hard to see in the pics of the flaws, but I understand completely about you wanting to replace the plaster and lathe for sheetrock. Doing this will definitely be more efficient in the long run and definitely ups the resale value. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Now that I've seen the pics of the corners you were talking about before, I'm disapointed to say that there is nothing of the vinyl corner beads to use in that size of a curve. The ones I've messed with were small stuff, approximately a 2" quarter-round bead. Yours appears to be about an 8" or 10" quarter-round. I would hate for you to lose all that beautiful work and especially the wood work. That wood and trim are awesome, even the curvature of them going around the corners!!! I understand now what you meant that you wanted to cut back on the plaster and save the corners. This is about all I can suggest for you to do now, too. BUT... before you go breaking the plaster around these corners, let me give you some very helpful tips so you don't accidentally make a small crack into a huge one and end up losing the whole corner. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Saving plaster is not an easy chore, but with some care and tips, you will be able to keep all that stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Cool, thanks. It is really nice, if I could stand living in plaster, I'd leave it. The roof was bad for awhile, so there's water leak damage to a lot of it.

I gotta go sit down, I just finished a 3 hour side job that was supposed to be 30 minutes, so I gotta crash for a while... I'll pm tomorrow! Glad you like it so much!

Bubba, we're having a house warming party when it's move-in ready... If y'all weren't across the country, I'd say come on by!

5. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Why dont you get the curves run as a custom 8" cove from wood? Around here there are actually places that stock 6". Or yu can glue up your own wood and cut them yourself on a table saw. Unless your a plaster/drywall mud god that will be hard to duplicate. You could also cut blocking to the radius find some sonotube...cut it in quarters ...wet some 1/4" rock and bend it with the sonotube as a "mold"...then apply the tube 1/4 to the blocking and drywall over it...just idea.

BTW Good luck with the house if you have any ? just ask /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That's a great idea!! Wood might just be the way to get it... I'm going to look around Home Depot today and see if they have anything that looks workable like that. Thanks for the idea!!

I'll definately have questions...

7. Stickseler

HD ain't gona have it...goto an independent lumber yard they can hook you up. They could be kinda pricey. Check for someone in your area that does custom millwork. If youve got a table saw I can show you how to set it up to do that. It's not a quarter cir but more of an elipse but it looks cool.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Do you have any pics of what it might look like? I took out the cieling today but cut a line along the decorative part I'm trying to save and left it up there as plaster. It is deteriorating, though, and will come down probably in the next 20 years...

9. Stickseler

Try this. CMT cove cutter .it gives you a general idea how to cut big cove on a table saw. I actually use my 8" blade in a 10" saw to cut coves. Another Idea is Fypon goto download and look at the catalog (its 22.2mb) on page 82 & 83 there are some coves, If one looks like it should work let me know I can give you a price they should charge you for it. If you cant download it let me know and I'll scan the pages and e-mail them to you.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Nice house. I am living in a single wide, but it's paid for. I'd love to have a older home like you have. The craftmanship back then was so awesome !!!!!!!! I always liked the style of homes built in that eara.