Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My New K&N Air Filter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, Sep 23, 2000.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I just wanted to share the joy of my new K&N I got a few days ago. Ever since I installed the thing, the truck had been running great, 'cept for those leaky valve seals makin the truck spew smoke [​IMG]. Anyway, the vibes when the truck idles have virtually dissapeared, and the truck has a bit more gitty-up in it. Now, ya'll have to remember, I have a stock '87 350. So, any improvement is like a miracle to me. I'm sure no one with a worked engine would go back to a stock one (unless they were bustin parts or something). If you don't have a K&N by now, I'd definately reccomend it.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://billybob.coloradok5.com
    It's all fun 'n games, till someone gets stuck.

2. 89GAK5

89GAK5 Registered Member

i've been putting it off for years.i fianlly broke down and put one in this past week.really does fill better.im happy

RUGERS & K5 BOWTIES

3. CAPTAINK5-CT

CAPTAINK5-CT 1/2 ton status

I was quoted $60 at one parts store, ouch! Definitely want one though. Had one on my S10.

4. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

I dropped one into my truck when it was stock 2 years or so ago. WOW!! Made me a believer and follower right off the bat. MPG's went from a constant, reliable 13mpg to 14 something, it idled better, and had a nice little boost in driveability. [​IMG] All for about $40. Now I have a custom cold air ram intake with a 4"x14" K&N in it!! [​IMG] Whatever I own will always have K&N air filters in it.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's [​IMG]

5. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

Is everyone just getting the round filter for their original housing, or the cone-shaped K&N that goes on the end of the air intake? The open to the engine bay cone-type probably wouldn't survive a good muddin'. If I go with a aftermarket chrome air cleaner, it'll get the K&N treatment.

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew

6. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I was a sceptic on the claims by K&N. I put a K&N air filter in my '89 K5 and picked up between .9 and 1.0 mpg, tested over 3 full tanks of gas. I also noticed better throttle response and a smoother idle. I'm a believer now.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I love my K&N's (all 4 of them) I was replacing paper filters every couple of thousand miles because they were clogged up from dust and pollen. Doing the math it made sence. I clean it once a year and forget about it now. Got mine at Auto Zone for $35 for the last one.
    Now let me tip you you guys in about the cone and the open elements. THEY SUCK HOT UNDER HOOD AIR! you are beter off with the stock set up from a 79-90 where it pulls air from the grill. I also have a Supra and on their mailing list. one guy took the time to DYNO his car with a cone style sucking heat from under the hood and the stock replacment style. The Hot air killed 6hp off the full curve on the dyno run. Granted this was on a car turning 400rwhp and the loss on your truck may be less .Course it could be more as this car is equiped with an intercooler. This guy's car is built right and makes repeatable Dyno runs so it was definatly the hot air that killed his performance. On my 75 since I got it I was having a ping problem. the stock aire cleaner had a small opening that pulled from under the hood so I was flipping the lid and running it as an open element. Well I tossed a cleaner from a 85 on it and installed the pickup through the grill like the 85 had and my ping problem is gone. I was even able to advance the timming. My point is where the air is comming from has the potential to create or take away gains in power as much as the element is.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

<center>Gotta say.

Me too!

Love that K&N.

<center>More power,better gas mileage.
    The cool air delivery system is the way to go.
    Keeps the filter cleaner too