Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my new motor got a tick

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the hulk, Nov 16, 2003.

1. the hulk

the hulk Registered Member

hello all . well i had it running for about two week now and from the frist day it had a tick and it does not sound like a lifter tick its coming from the right side if you sanding over the motor it sounds like it coming from down under like in the exhaust pipe but from under it it sound like it coming from up top i put stick up to each header tub and the ones on the right bank at the back of the motor make a lot of niose i don't think its a exhaust leak and i don't think its a lifter ticking could it be a valav sticking any thouts on what it mite be
    web page

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Was that one sentence? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

check the rockers....

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

dood, randy, breathe LOL...seriously, new distributor or used? could the dist be making the noise??

5. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Loose flywheel bolts? sounds more like a rod knock but Id check it out. Torque convertors make some neat noises to owhen they start to come apart.

6. the hulk

the hulk Registered Member

the distributor is new every thing but the alternater is new . it dont sound like its coming from on top of the motor like lifter or rockers but more like from in side it but not in the bottom end of the motor, if a valve was sticking could you hear it throw the exhaust

7. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

Take a long screwdriver, put the tip against the valve cover, and the handle end put it against your ear. If it's a rocker, you should be able to hear and tell which one it is. If it's an intake valve misadjusted, you won't hear it in the exhaust.

8. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Does the motor have roller tip or full roller rockers? My 454 has roller tip rockers and they have a LIGHT tick. I can barely hear it over the exhaust.

Chris