Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My new motor is a dog

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Geno, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Geno

Geno Registered Member

Need some suggestions here, I have a rebuilt 350 with flat top pistons, edlbrock performer cam and intake, (yea I know the cam sucks, but that is what it has) 350 turbo tranny, 456 gears in 3/4 ton axles, 35inch tires. New distributer, wires plugs, has the original quadrajet carb, This thing is a dog, seems like it is always behind trying to catch up when you nail it. Its a dog , was expecting to a least break the tires loose with little effort NOT. Any suggestions to what I could adjust? Have played with the timming, not a big difference, timing is sitting a 9 right now, could the carb be causing this? No snap at all to the motor, any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks for your time.

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

at first, i would bumped the timing up and down to see if there is a timing related problem. If this is a new distributer, does it have an adjustable vacume advance??. Are you sure the cam timing is correct? I hate q-jets. Just my personal fealings. they are harder to tune for performance than a holley or edelbrock performers. do you have access to another carb? It could be alot of things. It will take some patiance to figure it out. Does it blow any smoke when it's doggin? The performer cam/intake combo should produce a fair amount of low RPM torque. enough to shread the tires!

3. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

have you looked at the exhaust, it may be pluged/restricted from a bad cat, bent pipe, or a pluged muffler.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Headers really woke my motor up. I just have flat tops, port matched heads, Performer intake, junk carb, and an RV cam. I couldn't start out in true first gear on my SM465 before. Now that I have headers I make more than enough torque and it starts out fine. 2.73s and 32s aren't fun.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't think your truck is a dog, I just think you're in dreamland thinking you're going to smoke a set of 35s off when nailing a 350.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm not a big Chevy 350 fan anymore. Looking for a Big Block myself.

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Let it break in maybe? My new longblock was a dog first week or two, but after letting it break in, it started picking up... maybe im hallucinating.

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't think your truck is a dog, I just think you're in dreamland thinking you're going to smoke a set of 35s off when nailing a 350.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahaha! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I wasn't gonna say it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've got a 350 powering 35's with 3:73's and i can bark the tires when taking off from a stop sign sometimes...
    I don't think you'll be doing any tire roasting, but mine isn't a "Dog" when accelerating.
    I finally came to terms with the fact my blazer isn't a dragster and had to buy another chevy for the sole purpose of going out and smokin the tires. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. 78GMC1/2TON4x4

78GMC1/2TON4x4 1/2 ton status

Ditch that quadrajet, i still have the stock one on my truck and i think its horrible....steming to most of my horrible running problems /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Q jet might have an internal vacuum leak like most of mine. When my 350 was in my 1 ton it ran horrible. The only thing that's changed when I put it in the big truck was timing curve, Edelbrock intake and carb, and the exhaust (dynomax headers, flowmasters, duals). It feels more powerful in my truck with 38s than it did in the other with 32s.

11. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What do you have the timing set at???? That was my problem after I rebuilt my motor. I am not going to say what my timing is set at because of all of the criticism I got last time. I can't explain why my truck likes so much timing but it works and will smoke the tires from the start and bark them again when it hits 2nd gear and gets almost 10 mpg. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Dude, with my 350, if I revved the piss outa it and dropped the clutch, it was all it could to to just chirp the tires (35's and 3.73) now with my 454, if I do the same thing, I will leave 2 black streak about 30feet long, and that is with the new 37's I can't wait till I regear...

But I would check out the timing, and run it hard for a while and check the plugs, see if they are running on the lean side...

Chris

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My timing is at 8* right now but I can bump it up some more, however, I have an adjustable vacuum canister on mine and my vacuum advance has a limter cam on it so I wouldn't recommend you bumping yours to 10 or 12 like I plan on doing.

14. Geno

Geno Registered Member

Thanks to everyone for your replies, My timing is set at 9 right now, Called Edelbrock, the man told me I had to use the timing chain listed with the cam, so 80.00 later and 2 hours to install it, it seems to be alittle better but not real noticable, havn't had a chance to mess with the timing very much yet, hope this is the answer, Will be looking into a new carb also, crawled under the beast last night to measure my exhaust, it's not even 2", this could be a problem too, would like to put some tri-y headers on but funds are limited. Thanks again for all the opinons. will check things one by one to sort this out. later /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

15. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Plugged exhaust could be a problem. How does it run compared to the last motor?

16. Geno

Geno Registered Member

Runs exactly the same, that motor had 180,000 on it!

17. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Put a bigger exhaust system on it and I bet you'll see a big difference.