Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My new overhead console

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue85, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

OK, I know this is strictly street runner stuff, but I like it. I took a console from a 93 Chevy minivan, shortened it by 4" and put it on the roof of my K5. In its original length, it would have hung back into the removeable roof area. It was tan, so I used blue vinyl dye. The upper interior was originally white (actually 4-5 different shades of almost white), so all of that has already been colored. Before putting it in, I added some wiring and 4 diodes to it so that all 4 map lights also come on with the door switch. I have seen similar consoles in 89-91 suburbans. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So what do you all think?

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Looks good, what do those little doors do/hold?

3. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I like it, it looks like a factory option. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

My dads 77 blazer had an overhead console. It was homemade by the PO in woodshop and held the CB radio. It was actually very nice. I'm planning on making one for mine to hold the CD player as I don't relish the idea of hacking into the dash. I'll just put a crap factory stereo in the dash opening and stealth my system to hopefully deter theives.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Looks Kewl!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Blue85

That's a good idea. See if you can find an 8-track player to fit in the dash. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When I was junkyarding for this, I saw a lot of wooden overhead consoles from conversion vans. They look nice, but my intention was to do something that looked stock.

7. Blue85

The doors slide open to hold sunglasses, maps, whatever. The compartments are both a little more than twice as long as the door.

8. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

Looks Good. I always wondered how those things were mounted? Maybe you can shed some light?

9. greybeard

greybeard Registered Member

Looks good! Now we need details! How did you shorten it? How did you hang it? Any other installation tips? I picked up a suburban overhead console with the same thought in mind and any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

10. Blue85

Normally, the front and back of the console taper off. In the rear, the taper is pretty quick (you can see it in the pictures), but the front taper goes on for about 4". To shorten it, I cut the front off just ahead of the lower black portion, just ahead of where the taper starts. Then I took a piece of that tapered section that I cut off and cut out of it an end cap to put on the new front of the console to finish it. This worked out well because this piece already had the same grain in it as the rest of the console. It is attached with some epoxy.

For mounting, I had to depart fully from the original installation. The van had a bracket riveted to the inner roof with big clips for four big bolts to hold the console up. Not knowing how much room is between the inner roof and outer roof, I didn't want to mess with this. My setup is for it to clip in the front and screw in the back. The front trim piece above the windshield is metal. It has a slight ridge along the back. I took two little notches out of that ridge to slide some clips into. I made clips out of old CB mic holders by bending them and taking out the middle finger. With these attached to the console, the front of the unit slides forward into place. This lets the new dome lights line up almost exactly with the stock K5 dome light location. I ran two longer screws with washers up through some existing holes in the console near the dome light bulbs. These screws go into the stock clips that the stock dome light mounted with.

I had snagged the end of the harness sticking out of the roof of the van, so that was just tied into the original dome light harness. The colors are even the same.

The only thing hard about the whole thing was the headliner. My vinyl was already starting to sag, so I pulled it all off the cardboard backing. I installed the cardboard and the console in the truck and cut pieces of cardboard to fill the gap between them. I marked the location of these new pieces on the headliner and then took it all out again. I glued the filler pieces to the main headliner. Then I cut the original vinyl in half down the center and reinstalled it in two pieces, wrapping it down over the edges of my filler cardboard. This was to try to create the illusion that the ceiling "comes down to meet" the headliner. The filler piece is about 1.5" at its widest.

In my opinion it came out pretty good, but in truth I have never liked the vinyl headliner, so now I am looking into a foam-backed cloth liner.

11. Blue85

I think your new console is fabulous. You are a genious!!! Love, your Wife