Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my new project

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jp0863, Dec 17, 2006.

1. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

my goal is to make a camping trailer out of it. swap to an 8 lug axle and matching wheels, maybe elec brakes, make some brackets for all the camping stuff (stove, lantern, water, etc) throw a couple batteries on the front for lighting and a small heater, and a propane tank, cover it with a canvas tent or get the original cover for it (maybe too tall), throw down a king matress and snooze in comfort. i gave up tent camping when i started having back problems, so i figured this may work just fine once all done....

DSCF0819.jpg

DSCF0820.jpg

2. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

sounds fun...did you pick it up around here?

Where do you go camping?

-A

3. jp0863

got it from gov liquidation in french camp. i usually go camping up at west lake around red a coyote lakes, or over around courtright res around the south end of dusy ershim trail... good fishing.

4. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

Always wanted to do the same exact thing. Keep us posted on your progress.

Eric

5. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

get a couple of those el cheapo trailer jacks one in front and one in back then you can level out the trailer at night without worrying about it tiping back

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

on a side note, how did you get the h2 rims to take the paint? did you sand them down or what? looks cool.

7. jp0863

i used some wheel cleaner to get all the crap off then pressure washed. 3 cyles of this and the paint seemed to adhere just fine. use the good wheel cleaner that burns your nose hairs if you get too close.

8. jp0863

good thinking. i plan on checking out some of the high dollar ones for ideas, but for now just using some imagination. i'm leaning toward using the backing plates and spindles from a 14 bolt, welded to an axle tube so i can keep the military e-brakes for when it is parked on an angle............. oh, and i picked up the trailer for $300 from www.govliquidation.com for anyone looking for one, they're cheap and plentiful

9. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Cool. I have a half ton box trailer I bought for 150. Ive got the Winnebago pickup box camper that my grandpa had in the back of his 71 sitting in it right now. Im gonna paint it to match my truck and was thinkin about maybe rigging up a parking brake to a lever on the front of the trailer for a stability brake like you are talking. Mine has a good solid tongue jack and im going to mount one on each side of the back bumper.

Only thing I dont like right now is that camper is WAY heavy, and whoever welded the tongue did a bad job

I think im gonna find some old spring packs and take them and the ones under the trailer and add some leaves. It wont matter how it rides ya know, Im gonna upgrade the tires too. Those load rating C 235s dont hold alot of weight worth a crap