Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My new purchase

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jul 24, 2002.

With the help of a good friend I now own a wrecked 1989 1 Ton 2wd crew cab that I bought for $850. It has a running 454 TBI, 4 speed manual tranny and the Dana 70 dually rear end. Assuming the rear ratio is 4.10, I have the rear end sold to a buddy for a bargain cause he has helped me so much on my truck.

With the rear axle sold the purchase price for the truck drops to $600 and I might have the tranny sold also so before I know it I might have the final purchase price down to around $400. Kinda lucked out. I'm gonna swap the 454 into my 69 K20 after yanking off the TBI and replacing it with an Eldebrock Performer intake and carb and probably a slightly hotter cam. Should be a fun swap.

Anyone done a similar swap with recommendations on what to expect?

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    yanking off the TBI and replacing it with an Eldebrock Performer intake and carb

[/ QUOTE ] why /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Probably because its easier to deal with when it has a carb on it. If he wants a hotter cam and TBI he has to mess with stupid computer BS

3. From what I have gathered, it is just going to be a lot easier to not deal with the TBI and the engine should have better response with an upgraded cam, intake and carb. I've talked with a couple guys who have gone this route and it sure sounds like the way for me to go. I'm a bit mechanically challenged so I'm wanting to keep this as simple as possible. Plus, I just dig hearing a four barrel carb open up.

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i hear ya on that. what are you building this rig for mud or rocks? if going to do a lot of high angle climbs or decents you might be better off with the TBI? thats just MLAO /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. I'm in basically flat Kansas. I use this truck to tow a little, drive to work about once a week and hopefully someday I will find time to get it down to like Disney, OK for some fun in rocks. Definitely not a rock vehicle but would like to not embarass myself too bad if I ever make it to some rocks. Mainly just want to make it dependable and a little hotter than stock.

6. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

enjoy sounds like fun. nothing like 454 /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

congrats /forums/images/icons/smile.gif sounds like you got a very good deal /forums/images/icons/smile.gif how much are you going to sell the tbi for? i have a friend who might want it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

What do you think you'd want for the TBI setup with the computer or just the computer alone?

9. mudhog

hey i asked first lol actually you can have first dibs on it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif but i do want second /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif I may have a friend that is interested in the comp.. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Thanks.

11. mudhog

i have a friend who just bought a 454 to put in his blazer and im sure if the price was right he would love to put a tbi on it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

How good are the rear doors? Hell, the whole cab for that matter.

13. First off, I'm not a paying member yet, just never got around to it, but I will jump over right after I respond to the inquiries and make myself a paying member. I wouldn't feel right getting something sold on this board without being a member.

As for the TBI and computer I would just as soon prefer to get it all sold at the same time and I don't want to gouge anyone on price. I would be leary on knowing how good of a job I would be able to do to get the wiring. That would make me nervous to make any promise about getting the wiring cause I have no idea what would be involved in getting it out. Additionally, I doubt I can get to removing the computer and TBI til mid September in case that creates a problem. I was thinking $200 plus actual shipping cost for the TBI and computer would be fair. I don't have the receipts in front of me but the previous owner just had work done on the computer, a board or something on the board must have went out, not sure. If one of you just wants one part and the other wants the other part, is $100 for each part plus actual shipping fair? I really don't know.

I would be happy to take pictures of the cab and doors tonight. What exactly would be important for you to see? Shipping would probably be prohibiitive, but who knows. We would have to talk about what you have in mind.

Let me know your thoughts and yes, I'm excited as can be about getting the 454. Should be fun!

14. mudhog

i will talk to my buddy tonight and see if he wants the whole thing also no biggy on the time thing he is slowly working on it and would not need it till after september anyway /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

15. Here's a link to pictures of the excellent adventure getting it home a few nights ago. What an experience.

Pics of 1989 Crew Cab

16. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

I'm interested in the hydro boost setup , lines etc . come up with a decent price and are you willin' to ship it to 28027 zip? Thanks. CC

17. Rodzzilla - I took some pics last night of the whole cab. I didn't see any rust as I was taking the pictures. Both front doors are dented but not bad. Floors look solid from what I could see.

Here's a link to those pics Cab pics

I will PM you about selling the doors or cab.

BTW - I'm going to reregister as my original login name "Yukon Jack" as soon as Steve deletes that and my current user name. At some point I couldn't login under that name and had to change to my current name. As soon as that's done, I will be a paying member!

18. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

If the others fall thru, I am interested in the 454 TBI unit alone. Let me know what you want for it shipped to Tulsa, OK 74014.

19. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I am very interested in buying the clutch/brake pedal assembly and brackets, and maybe also the bellhousing for a hydraulic clutch conversion. I really need those pedals! Lemme know!