Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my new ride (aka The Bucket)

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by westtexask5, Sep 1, 2005.

1. westtexask5

westtexask5 Registered Member

well I just got my new piece of cr.....antiquated equiptment. Ill get some pics up soon. I am new to first gens so here's the question, the floor and rockers are swiss cheese so the plan was to cut the floor out and dove the front and the rear. Then I was going to cut out the remaining rocker and make some sliders to replace them. As for suspension I was going to use 52s from the rear in the front and get some 56s from a parts truck and use them in the rear with a shackle flip. The truck has no title so it wont ever see the road, just trails. Ive got a flat knuckle D44 and a SF14blt that I was going to use with a set of 36" wranglers from a H1. So what do you guys think? Blast away if you like but I would like some good opinions on this set up, Im definatly looking to build uber cheap so....Thanks

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool, lets see some pics. :D
    What kinda wheelin are you gonna do?

Answer that and then build to thoes needs :D

3. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

sounds like a good plan, but depends on usage :D

4. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

i think the d44 will cost way too much espessially with the 36 i hear in lubbock they are pricey lol. who ever said it was a flat knuckle anyway?

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

It pains me somewhat to think of a 1st Gen being narrowed and tapered.....

A while ago, I met the owner of the Four Wheeler Dec 2004 cover truck (Jeff Agueda)...it's the dark green narrow 1st Gen.

He was at City Market in Moab when I drove in. The truck was really nicely done and well finished. I was sort of "conflicted" about the way the body had been cut and modified..but it was all done in a way that was sort of......respectful?..... I guess that's the best way to say it.

That's probably the best way to express what I feel...1st Gen doesn't have to be 'bone-stock'....I'm not a purist like that. If it's obvious that the owner really cares about trying to preserve some sense of what the vehicle originally WAS (keeping some of the styling cues...fender wells, grille, etc) it's easier for me to appreciate what I'm looking at.

If the owner takes a 1st Gen.....cuts off everything but the firewall and windshield and build a moon buggy around it, it seems rather pointless (and sad) to me.

I'll be watching for your pics and perhaps acting as your "conscience" from time to time!!! :D Welcome to the 1st Gen family!! There really is a special bond that exists between the owners of these most rare of Blazers! :thumb:

:usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag: :usaflag:

6. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

well said Greg :o

I'm not a huge fan or a narrowed 1st gen.

If I was going to do it, I'd buy a truck cab, get an old bed(long bed), and a 2gen frame and go from there. That way you're creating a vehicle, not putting one on the chopping block.

7. 70chevybob

70chevybob Registered Member

I'm With Greg too. If you try to keep it vintage and make it look like a 1st
    gen that is Killer. But Frame, seats, and a grill is tacky, More like disrespectfull to the Few survivors. I was wheeling my 1st Gen short bed and Dented the Passenger side bed. :doah: From the cab to the bed on a tree and i felt like I had just taken soul from my Ride.

8. westtexask5

westtexask5 Registered Member

my plan was to keep all the sheetmetal the way it is and narrow it...a lot like the green one but with one mod....the front grille and lights will be removed and replace by a tube bumper/grille combo. like white knights truck. Most of the wheeling I will be doing will cosist of moderate trails and some rock crawling but nothing major....