Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My new ride.

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 6.2gmc, May 27, 2004.

1. 6.2gmc

6.2gmc Registered Member

Hi all i've just picked up my 83 GMC JIMMY(is it just me but does BLAZER sound a lot better than JIMMY why call a tough truck Jimmy?)Anyway i've had the car less than 5 hours and i've joined this cool site.It's lifted 4" but like a 79 stepside i owned it's got blocks at the rear and extended shack's at the front.Can anyone tell me the best 4" lift with full arch springs.Im in the UK so please help. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Congrats on your truck!

Fill out your profile so others know what you got and can help you better!

In terms of springs, it all depends if you want to go flexy, do some towing, or mud running! I dont know what you have there!

3. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

Awesome about your truck man. I've got an 83 jimmy too. Jimmy ain't a bad name, my CB call name is Big-Jimmy. It lets everybody know who's the boss on the trail /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Congrats on the new truck. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

We try our best never to refer to them as 'cars' here, or 'SUV's' for that matter.

I have a Jimmy too, and even after 7 and a half years the name still sounds silly to me. I usually call it a K5 or 'my truck' and have even occassionally referred to it as a Blazer (Chevy envy? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif)

Anyways, a good all around suspension set-up would be a shackle flip in the rear and some Tuff-Country 4" springs up front. The shackle flip in the rear allows you to keep the factory rear springs you already have, while getting rid of the blocks. You will likely have to adjust the pinion angle and drop the back of the t-case/tranny an inch or so to get rid of driveline vibes though.

I'd recomend a bit of research before you break out the credit card and start ordering stuff though, the devil is in the details...

The difference between a truck that works really well and one that doesn't isn't usually a lot. The details make all the difference, right down to shock length and even tips and tricks to maximizing the rest of what you have.

Take the time also to examine the frame around your steering box for any signs of cracking. The 73-91 GM truck frames are notorious for fatiguing the frame around the steering box. There are repair kits and aftermarket brace kits for that if you do find anything...

Rene