Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my new ride

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eightyone, Oct 3, 2004.

1. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

i just picked up a 1970 shortbed pickup, manuel tranny, not sure ont he transfer case. its got a driveshaft going out of the transfercase, and to a bracket, with another driveshaft coming out of that. whats the deal? can i take that braket off and just run a longer driveshaft for a better angle? and also, its got 56 inch springs int he back, is that normal for a 1/2 ton shortbed? the front rear spring mounts are some custopme made jobs that i am gunna take off, and i have a rear lift springs from a blazer, so i will probally just move them back. thanks.

2. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

pics, pics /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like you have a two peice driveshaft with a carrier bearing between the two--I was never a fan of those,the carrier bearings are a weak spot--they made the same trucks with a regular one peice shaft,dont know why they felt the two peice one was nessasary,perhaps to get better driveshaft angles with certain tranny's.You could try using a one peice shaft and see if it vibrates--I'm not sure of the stock spring lengths,but a Hollander interchange book they use at the junkyards has the lengths and widths of the springs listed. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif