Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My New Ride

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainibis, Apr 6, 2003.

1. mountainibis

mountainibis Registered Member

Well, my family thinks I'm crazy, and my friends just roll their eyes, but I am now the proud owner of a '72 Jimmy. I don't like to brag, but y'all are probably the only group of people who can understand the joy.

If I didn't screw anything up on my computer, I even have a picture.

I feel kind of like those new dads that show you pictures of their ugly baby while you're waiting in the check-out line at K-Mart.

Now all I need is a top. Then again, maybe not.

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Wait till summer hits...they'll be beggin to go cruisin in the beast /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Nice ride /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

good looking ride /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif congratulations /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If your looking for a top, I replaced my hard top with a STC fastrack soft top... which you can buy from Off-Camber 4x4 with the members discount. It rains more often than the sun shines here in the PNW and it doesnt leak, doesnt drip, and its not much louder than the stock hard top.

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

Congratulations - pay no attention to those who as "why'd you buy and OLD truck?" -- they don't and probably never will get it. I've always called that color baby-poop yellow. Again welcome to the club.

5. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

my wife still thinks i'm crazy AND rolls her eyes, but hey, it's a pathological thing, you either are into these blazers or you're not. my truck used to be that yellow color, too. someone else painted it red, and i painted it red again. nice truck, and welcome.

6. Big Sean E

Big Sean E Registered Member

Roll bar, a lift and Super Swampers?!! You are ready!! When the sun's shinin' and the tops off, the sight of you driving by will make any guy driving some wussy "car like" SUV want to cry for their manlihood! I just got through lifting my beast, but last summer my truck made grown men smile like a kid getting an ice cream. Sweet ride man, good luck with it. Remember to read these posts to see what hits, and what shits! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif web page" target="_blank">web page</a>

7. mountainibis

Now that I've driven it around for a weekend (making sure to snicker &amp; point at punk frat boys in their Jeeps), I have my first question.

The drivetrain has started to make a whining noise. It doesn't happen all the time, but it usually starts after the truck is warm. I dropped the rear driveshaft, put it in neutral, and turned the yoke on the transfer case (205). When I turned it, I heard some noise coming from the transmission (th350). The fluid's at the right level, it's not leaking anywhere, and the fluid is the right color (not burnt or anything). If I move the transfer case into neutral and back into 2 hi, the noise will stop for awhile. Other than the noise, nothing seems wrong. The transmission shifts fine, and the 4x4 works as it should.

So, is this noise something I should get used to, or is something wrong that should cause me to curse the guy I bought it from?

8. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

uh, what kind of noise, exactly?

9. mountainibis

OK, this is going to sound really stupid, and I'll understand if this post does not get a response, but...

Have you seen the movie Dumb &amp; Dumber? Do you remember the scene where they're driving down the road and Jim Carrey asks if they want to hear the most annoying sound in the world? My truck's making a sound kind of like that. Just not as loud. It changes pitch with speed, but not necessarily with rpm.

It's just an annoying screech/whine that is scaring me, since I really don't have the cash to replace something big like a tranny or transfer case.

10. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

heh, om my 69 K20... it makes that same noise. Most prominent after you reach speed (55 mph) and let off the gas. Its got a manual and a Rockwell T case... The noise that it makes (just like you described) is coming from the worm gears. My 72 blazer has a different set up and has never made a noise like that before. If you have a Rockwell T-case that could be it. A Rockwell and a 205 are close to the same... but the rockwell is divorced from the tranny and the 205 is bolt on. (not COMPLETELY sure I gave accurate info... someone please back me up, or correct me please)

11. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

changes with speed not rpm?
    any other symptoms?
    check your speedometer cable, (not too familiar with the 1st gens but i'll throw a suggestion out), if it connects to the t-case like mine, take it off and check it out, you can lube it yourself, or get a new one for around 20 bucks...
    mine got too hot from the headers and started to make a noise like that....i just replaced it and routed it as far away from the headers as possible.
    i always check the simple things first and pray thats all thats wrong /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    good luck!

12. CammoK5

CammoK5 Registered Member

That is a dang good looking truck! Congrats on the awesome buy!