Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My "new" roller 454 is done

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Nov 16, 2006.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I broke down and paid an engine builder to rebuild a 454 for me.
    [​IMG]

Actually, everyone knows with me it couldn't be that simple to just drop off a motor and say "rebuild it".

I brought him the 454 I had run in my Suburban for a few years. It was a longblock, .020 over with hypereutectic flattop pistons and 781 casting heads, and an Edelbrock cam that went flat.

I brought him a used Comp 270 Hydraulic roller cam with lifters and valve springs and roller rockers to match out of another 454 I got that was in a friend's Blazer.

Then the block I brought him showed more wear in the cylinders than he liked, so I brought him another 454 standard bore short block (my original first 454 I ever had that I put and ran in my GMC when I was 17) and he bored that block .020 over, using the flattop pistons and 781 heads from the 1st motor I brought him, and valvetrain from the other motor.

In the end, I wound up with a freshly bored .020 over 454 with hypereutectic flattop pistons, 781 casting heads, a Comp 270 Hydraulic roller cam with .566 valve lift, roller rockers, and Edelbrock Performer intake for my '81 Crew Cab. I supplied all the parts and he did all the machine work, supplied rings and bearings and oil pump, rebuilt the heads, and assembled it as a long block ready to fire up and run for $800. Most I've spent on a motor outright, but at least it's done right... or done as right as possible while still being able to mix and match all my parts.

Now I just need more storage space for engines... 4 complete 454s, 2 shortblock 454s and two complete 350s are now occupying the breezeway.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Sounds awesome. Now if you could just give this motor a PROPER break in, you may end up with something that will last you more than a week. :D

3. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

if its broke in all proper like he might use it long enough to damage one of the 20 or so Dana 60's he keeps hording.........

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

It's for my '81 Crew Cab, so it doesn't get off-roaded at all. Just a tow motor and street driver motor. Usually big blocks in my crew cab last a long time. This latest one thats in it now has been in it just over a year and a half. Thats a long time! Just not enough power though.

5. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

You never cease to amaze me.....:D

6. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

well gessh allan you could have just swapped the single plane intake off that 454 in the crewcab... lol

That should be nice to have a good decent motor in your tow rig.