Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My New Roof Rack and a question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fireplug, Aug 11, 2006.

1. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

http://www.vanguardtruckracks.com/frames.html?page=products/directory

Good design and a quality, and pretty good price if you are dumb and buy like me instead of building yourself. I really need the rack for kayaks and bikes. I also miss all the space of my Burb for camping, especially with two dogs in the back so I imagine a basket will make it's way up there soon enough. This will also still allow me to use the soft top.

As for the question, I think I'm going to attach this to the bedside with cap mounting clamps. Are there any that the brother/sister hood would suggest as being better than others? I need good quality for obvious reasons.

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Just curious...why bed clamps? Wouldn't it be easier to just bolt it through the existing bed rail holes with a wide plate underneath as a washer? You could use a wing nut with a lock washer if you wanted easy removal.

3. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Well quick removal and adjustment (required for going from kayak to bikes) was the idea. I figured clamps because it will allow me to work around the soft top rails easier.

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Another option............
    [​IMG]

5. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I wish it was. I rent a place without a driveway, and city bylaw doesn't allow trailors parked on the streets overnight. So far my searches have come up with pretty much the same old stuff with the exception of maybe built in tie down loops.

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

OK. Don't know about quality, but TITE LOK has a bunch of clamps for different applications. May be worth a call to them.