Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my new toolbox... little pricey but its cool.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddysub, Sep 14, 2005.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

:D :D :D :D :D i just got a matco tools model 4735 (IIRC) 3 bay rollaway. :D :D :D :D :D its 72" wide, 42" tall, and 25" deep... its awesome! im sure only other mechanics could appreciate a $5000 toolbox, but i love this thing... i got it shipped to the shop, waxed it, just like you'd wax a new car and took a few pics... i got it september 2nd, it was assembled august 19th... its brand frickin new, no traded in, second hand box this time... there was nothing wrong with my 50" snap-on box except i had outgrown it... tool buying, its a hell of a drug!
    and yes it was taken with my camera...

[​IMG]

oh and what would a post by muddysub be without some song reccommendations? heres some new ones...

underoath- 'anel below', 'reinventing your exit' and 'when the sun sleeps'
    remembering never- 'blue'
    bleeding through- 'love lost in a hail of gunfire'
    killswitch engage- 'end of heartache'
    ill end it there let me know what you think of the music, oh and of course the toolbox! :D :D :D :D

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Just curious, but why did you get a mac over a snap on? I personally like the action and lock features of the snap on drawers much better. Plus a tech that I worked for would always tell me this story that one time he was moving his box so they could paint the floor in our old shop and he rolled it into the middle where the floor was kind of sloped and all the drawers rolled open and dumped his tools everywhere, that pretty much sold me on the slide and lock drawers.

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Psst... its a Matco not a Mac

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Looks good Scott! Where you been? Shoot me a pm if you want to go along on some wheelin trips this winter :wink1:

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Crap, man. That thing needs it's own zip code!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I'd rather have a Matco over a Mac. I was looking at a Matco MB8545, but that's some big cash. Although, they do come with an emblem "Custom made by Matco for........" your name. I kinda like the idea of a griplatch because we don't have set bays at the shop, so I'll have to roll it around often. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the snap on locks. Annoying how they move.

Nice box, man! Where you working at now?

Got a song recommendation.... Arch Enemy - Machtkampf

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Psst..thats what i meant. :doah: names are too close together, I always get them mixed up.

8. muddysub

i bought a matco because it was on promo and i like new matcos better than new snap-ons... my snap-on had the slide lock things and it was ok but kinda annoying at times... especially when some one else tries to open it that doesnt know about them and just pulls the hell out of your drawers... but this thing has adjustable detents, i can make them really stiff if i want, and besides i never move my box... i actually have the 3 front casters set on 3"x3"x1/2" steel plates so i can just walk away and the drawers shut themselves... i work at H&E equipment now, i work on big sky-trak forklifts.. i miss dirt moving equipment but i love the money i make now. yeah jeff ive been MIA for a while, the suburban hasnt ran in about 4 months, (if anyone wants it, $2500 takes it) my toyota has a broken birfield joint its been dead in the backyard for about 6 months too... so yeah i'd love to go on some rides with you guys, i dont have your number anymore my old phone got smashed. mine is 419 0216...

9. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

Mine's cooler, but not nearly as expensive :D

[​IMG]

I haven't updated in forever..now is much cleaner, wires claned up and bright aluminum diamondplate conceals the bottom mainboard. I should get newer pics up. Right now I'm working on a volume dial for the side of the box and putting a working battery in there (one from the laptop I cannabilized was toast)

http://www.speedyoldtruck.com/index.php?page=craftshiba for info on the thing.

10. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Scott PM'd ya :wink1: Should be wheelin here after BB in October. I am kind of taking it easy right now so I don't break anything before Moab :D

11. muddysub

botboy, thats cool! im getting a stereo and alarm system for mine... lol. some think its crazy but i think it'd be cool to have an alarm on your toolbox.

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

good looking box man. i agree on the Snap On latches sucking, especially when you're in a hurry, or someone else is trying to borrow tools and isnt familiar with them. i just paid off my Snap On oon Thursday, the truck guy nearly shat himself when i handed him $3000. :eek1: :haha: my nex box will be a Mac, and my Snappy will come home. i've WAY outgrown my Craftsman i've had for the last 10 or so years, and my Snappy is starting to get a little small for work.

13. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i kinda dig the earthquake drawers now.. i hated em when i got the box.. now i don't even notice em at all...

funny watching someone try to open em if they don't know..

14. muddysub

yeah once i got used to the snapon latches, but when i got my matco i fell in lov with it. the drawers are smoother than the snapon ones.

15. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

kinda hard to imagine them being smoother, i'm amazed by mine constantly. the more weight ya put in, the better they work...

glad to hear Matco makes such a nice box.. enjoy it.. :D i actually don't own anything Matco, its a rarity to see one of their trucks around here.. not sure why....

my box is pretty stuffed... the only way i can go at this point is another side locker for the other side really.. unless i ditch my double bank bottom for a triple, which i don't plan on.. i really like the locker on the one side now.. great for those bulky items... can't see that in the forseeable future tho.....