Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My new tow rig/DD

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by littlejimmythatcould, Mar 28, 2007.

1. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I traded in my 06 GMC Sierra crew cab for a 07 F-250 6.0 diesel. I like this truck way better (blasphemy I know). It's pretty nice, the interior isn't as nice as the GMC but for my purposes it does just fine. I've already had a 1200 pound load in the back and it was great. Pretty hefty payments though :doah: But one thing is for sure, I'll never buy another gas truck again. The power is great. I know I just bought it, but I"m already considering taking the main muffler off of it to see what it sounds like and see if it will improve my milage. I felt horrible going into the Ford house but I like the truck. Now I need to get a bigger trailer so I can really put it to work...

3-25 002.jpg

3-25 005.jpg

3-25 008.jpg

3-25 006.jpg

3-25 004.jpg

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

That's a good lookin truck :waytogo:

There's nothing wrong with Ford's, I own a few of them. A couple of my friends recently got hooked on diesels... now they're buying exhaust systems and programmers and ....

3. littlejimmythatcould

Yeah, I got to wait until the warranty expires (and paid off, the wife says) before I can do any of that stuff, but I might try to sneak a straight pipe in place of the main muffler by her (if that's possible) and maybe a nice big chrome resontating tip. I don't know if it will sound good or like crap, but it should free up a little extra power and sound.

4. blowedupmotor87

blowedupmotor87 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sweet looking truck man! I really like the looks of the super duties like yours! Cool!:D

5. littlejimmythatcould

Thanks man, the red is a little flashy, but I got a pretty good deal on it. The guys at work call it my fire engine and that I only got it to play fire fighter:haha:

6. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

sweet looking rig man.:bow::bow:

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You need to take a course in photography.....:haha:

Nice truck, I LOVE red...:wink1: The 6.0 should be fine for you, I think it's mainly more of the eariler (meaning mostly '03) that had a lot of problems. All of the 6.0 years had some issues, but the later the better. That torque shift is really nice, I wish I had a 5spd auto in my Ram.

I wouldn't strait pipe it IMHO, thats kind of a Dodge/Cummins thing if you ask me. Dmax and especially the PSD's just sound kind of weird strait piped. Thats just me though. I'd go with a nice 4" aftermarket system that gives you a different downpipe and a strait through louvered muffler.

Why did you go with the Ford?

8. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Good looking truck even if it is a furd

9. littlejimmythatcould

Yeah, I know, I'm a traitor. And to be honest I never thought I would buy a ford. But it is an "all business" truck. SFA, lock out hubs, up fitter switches, mild stereo, no real fancy stuff. The wife likes the GM's because they have the digital dual climate control which is nice, I just got tired of flipping through the little pictures of what the Heater/AC was set on and always missing the one that I wanted. This truck has knobs so I can flip it to exactly what I want it to the first time. The SFA in my opinion is better for me for what I put my truck through (U turns that sometimes include curbs, cutting curbs and medians to get to where I need to go, making U turns on the high way in the muddy middle medians when I miss my exit, general hillybillying around) and will be cheaper to lift in the future. Not to mention the SFA will be cheaper adn easier to maintain in the long run. You can bend an A arm up real quick and the CV joints used on the GM front differential are I think a weak link. And after my 2006 GMC half ton, my confidence in GM was really shaken and the new body style YUCK! My 2006 GMC wouldn't do half the stuff that my 96 that I traded for it would. Not to mention that my dad will let me park my new ford in the yard next to his instead of in front of the neighbors house (he's a fanatical ford fan). I also got a really good deal on it. I've been putting it to work already and am very impressed. Of course this is my 1st diesel so it's not that hard to impress me. I will probably straight pipe it for the time being to try to pick up a little extra mpg. I've only got about 700 on it and am getting about 13 to 15 and I've been staying out of the pedal until I hit 1000 miles. I guess the longer I drive it the better it will get.

Edit: Oh yeah, my wife took those pictures, she likes taking pics of everything. she takes most of the pics of my parts and stuff too. Just kind of a way to get her involved. Some of her pics are good others.... not so good.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  10. rjfguitar

I'm not giving you a bad time about buying a Ford, I was just curious as to why you did.

11. littlejimmythatcould

Oh no offense taken, just was answering your question. Wasn't meaning to be snippy if that's how I came across. That's my pet peeve is when people get snippy. I actually gave MYSELF a hard time for even looking at fords. I've always been a die hard GM fan. I still drive my ford everyday with my chevy and GMC hats on :D Don't even own a ford hat.

12. rjfguitar

Ha, I do the same thing, have a ton of shirts with "Bowtie Power" or what not on them when I'm driving my Dodge.

I used to be very brand loyal, thought anything that wasn't GM was a pile of crap.... after three 3 years of owning a Dodge and being unable to remove the HUGE grin off my silly face, I'm open to nearly anything now, as long as it's got the components that I like.

13. littlejimmythatcould

Exactly, and the more I drive this truck and put it through the paces, the more I like it. I got into a friendly little drag race (not full on, our wives where in the trucks) with a guy in a duramax. Neither of us won just a little romp. It must have been a sight to people to see two big diesels go at it and hit 70 in about a block and a half. And neither one of us had it floored! I'll never buy another gas tow rig again. It must be hard for people to look away when all they is :saweet: behind the steering wheel. And now that I have a trailer and a good tow rig, I've already got 3 people lined up for me to move their dead vehicles for them, for a small fee of course ;) Usually, just the fuel used, I'm a nice guy but maybe not $2.95 a gallon nice. I appreciate not being flamed for buying a ford. I actually feel the exact same way, wondering about what I've been missing or have missed due to my strict loyalty to GM all these years. Don't get me wrong, I love my Jimmy. But maybe I could get something else too...