Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My new tow rig!!!

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by yeild2me, Nov 11, 2003.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Sorry, I didnt mean to sell out, but I had to trade my GMC 6.5l TD for a 2001 Dodge 2500 24v 5-speed trans. Its an awesome truck and I cant wait to tow with it!! I searched high and low, but finally found one with a manual.

[​IMG]

2. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Sweet tow rig. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. lax037

lax037 Registered Member

That's real similiar to what I got, 99 4x4 QC LWB 24v Cummins 5 speed. Tows the k5 like there is nothing back there, get an exhaust brake though, I'm sure you'll realized that those brakes aren't the best. Besides that head on over to TDR and avoid the bomb bug. Watch out for low rpms in 5th gear, could back the nut off and you'll lose 5th. No worries though b/c you still have 1-4 + R, just have to do some work to get 5th back, something like a $20 fix. Have fun with the new rig.

4. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Look at it as buying the Cummins with only a Dodge skin. That's how I justified going with the Ford Powerstroke, International motor with Ford skin. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

BTW, nice rig. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Watch out for low rpms in 5th gear, could back the nut off and you'll lose 5th. No worries though b/c you still have 1-4 + R, just have to do some work to get 5th back, something like a $20 fix.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheaper and more effective if you just tack weld the 5th gear nut in place. That is the only way a friend of mine could keep his from coming off. A couple seconds with a die grinder can remove the tack weld if you ever had to rebuild it.

Also, get the exhaust brake. Best thing you can do for hauling on one of those /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Thanks to all the input and remarks. I have heard about that fifth gear problem, never heard of the fix though, thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif!!

I love that truck already, its had all the exhaust removed, and a K&N filter (which BTW I have heard that arent good for TD's) installed. It sounds awesome. I never liked Dodges, but I love that Cummins!!!! For the record, it came down to a Ford/Dodge, it just so happened that the dodge with all the stuff I HAD to have, came along first. I am a huge fan of the PSD's although not really a fan of Ford either /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rob

7. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Sorry to hear you sold your 6.5TD, I just bought a 99 6.5TD, what didn't you like about yours?

8. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Well, nothin in particular...what I didnt like was....A little underpowered for my needs, 3.73's didnt help. A little low for my likings, and it was an extended cab, but didnt have 4 doors. Our family is growing (as is the truck) and we needed to start pulling a larger trailer for all the toys. I even bought 4.56's for both diffs in anticipation of lifting it and throwing on some 33's/35's. My Dodge sits higher stock, and already has 35's......

Plus, I have always wanted a Cummins, and finally got one!!!

Rob

9. lax037

lax037 Registered Member

There is something about the CTD sucking the K&N apart. Just use Fleetguard on everything seems to be the common answer. You just can't argue with size Cummins v Powerstroke v Duramax