Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My new truck: Diesel k30!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Mar 25, 2007.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

well after looking for a long time, i finally found a diesel for a reasonable price. it is an '85 k30 6.2/400/205 60/14b combo with 4.10s and a trac-lock (gm gov lock?), (guy just completely rebuilt axles) it has a 1410 yoke off of an '05 3500, and has the 3500 driveshaft shortened to fit. the truck has 145k miles, has 8" susp lift and 3" body lift, with 39.5 boggers (worn) on 16.5x12 eagle alloys (MT classic copies). its got 2.5" straight pipes out near the stock location on both sides (90*), and the sob is LOUD to say the least. im going to put mufflers on it because it gives me a headache on the highway (along with the damn boggers:doah: ), but for now its going to have to stay as is. The truck needs a little TLC (needs rear main seal, and new driverside floorboard and rockerpanel/cab corner welded in, which i have already). it also has a 1/2" plate on the frame under the bed from where a 5th wheel used to be set up.

the guy i bought it from didnt seem to know alot, he said that slipyoke was the way to go (idiot!) and swapped a slipyoke onto the 205:mad:. he also disconnected the vaccum line for the th400, and said that it wasnt necessary and that it shifted better because it would rev higher before shifting without it:eek1: . i reattached the vaccum line and it shifts much better now.

anyways, this truck is going to be built up for dd/trail warrior. i plans are to remove the 8" springs/blocks, install some slightly lifted 52's up front, shackle flip, 1" lift spring perches, 1" zero-rate, 1" body lift for around 7" lift total. im also going to change tranny's and t-cases, install a gm8 turbo setup, lockers and eventually chromoly shafts, h1's and 42 iroks. ive got most of the parts, and i supose ill make a build thread like everybody else :haha: :doah: in the not so distant future once i start turning wrenches.

on to pics, let me know what you guys think.

DSCN0766.JPG

DSCN0748.JPG

DSCN0749.JPG

DSCN0750.JPG

DSCN0751.JPG

2. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Haha,

Man the parents must love you! Lookin' good James. Just don't go out and pull out any stuck furds, if ya know what I mean! At least you have a 1 ton frame now! :wink1:

Dual tanks! Cool!

Man, you're gonna change that bad boy all the way around, huh? Guess you have to with the strict VA lift laws. Can't wait to see what you do with her.

Best wishes!

Manny

3. muddybuddy

its got stock style steering (drop pitman arm, drop draglink, steering block) its going to get cross-over and hydro-assist.

DSCN0752.JPG

DSCN0754.JPG

DSCN0755.JPG

DSCN0756.JPG

DSCN0758.JPG

4. muddybuddy

manny, the boggers are 39.5x18 on 16.5x12 eagle alloys. they are pretty dead in the center (over inflated) but they sides have huge lugs. as i mentioned i already have the new rocker panel and floorboard and cab corners, just need to get my buddy to weld them in

DSCN0760.JPG

DSCN0761.JPG

DSCN0762.JPG

DSCN0763.JPG

DSCN0769.JPG

5. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Muddy,

That's some scarey stuff with that lift block. Scarey stuff.

Manny

6. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

I think its crap and you should trade me for a pack os gum!!:D

jk. nice grab. keep us updated.

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yeah, R-O-N-G-E- wrong :haha:

I s'pose it's got a dimple cast in it to stick into the axle, but the way it sits in the U-bolts it's just begging to go POP out at the most inopportune moment :eek1:

That said, not a bad truck.

-- A

8. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Looks like you have your work "cut" out for you. I will be watching this intently. I hope you'll post up pics of progress and of the body repaires. I have a small section of floor-board coming up to do and I'd like a little knowledge before I go cuttin'. Looks good Mr. James. We won't recognize her when you're done!

Manny

9. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

looks like a nice start muddy! Why not replace the rockers with rectangular tube?

10. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

badass man. good find. what did you pay???

all you gotta do is deflate the tires and run em on the outer edges now...haha...j/k

good find, can't wait to see the build thread.

11. muddybuddy

i paid $3k for it. considering its got some parts on it i plan to sell, it seemed like a fair price considering the other i had looked into were more money and i would have to drive several hours (time and gas money), this truck was 30min away.

i completely agree on the steering and the lift block, ive never had a vehicle that had blocks in the rear. the block almost looks like its 2 welded together SCARY! its not going to be on the road much until the shackle flip and other springs and steering are on it.

ive got most of the parts already, its mostly just a matter of time (being in school fulltime). most work probably wont get done til i get out of school in the beginning of may, and that will allow me some time to rebuild the tranny im going to drop in :)

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Nice score, and a good platform to start with. :waytogo:

Rene

13. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

Good find man. What tranny/t case are you going to be running?

14. muddybuddy

its going to be 4L80E/WMS 3.2:1 203/205 triple stick doubler. ill be selling the 400/205 in may once i get that setup in the truck:D

15. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

Damn that sounds like a pretty badass setup.

16. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sweet man, looks like a good starting point :waytogo:

17. mello_yello

mello_yello 1/2 ton status

looks sweet muddy, now dont get the work done too quick and make me look bad.:waytogo:

18. muddybuddy

thanks guys, yea it runs really strong. the motor was my main concern, because im basically changing everything else :) if that motor dies, a 6.5 will replace it ;)

19. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You're right, the PO doesn't know much. Strait piping a diesel is indeed very popular and makes them sound great, but diesels with a TURBO!!! Otherwise it's just stupid loud and annoying!:haha:

Looks good man.

20. bluecollarjock

bluecollarjock 1/2 ton status

looks like a real mad max warrior machine!! I cant wait to wheel alongside it!!!!! Lets get these things rolling!!!!! You find any extra crossover steering gear let me know!!!!