Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my new used lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jsc383, May 3, 2000.

1. jsc383

jsc383 Registered Member

i just traded a crappy old tralier for a used 4in lift off of a 3/4 ton 82 chevy pick up. the only thing left was a chassyand it looked like he had the stock steering arm and brake lines and the guy i got the lift from said that i would be ok if i didnot change the brake lines or stering arm. My question is is he telling me the truth or what, he has dun this a lot and i trust his opinion. i cant afford to buy new 33s and get new gears so i was thinking about keeping the 31s on for now, would this work ok???? Or would it look too dorky. I dont plan on doing any major off roading for a while, i just plan on doing this for the summer and maybe change it back before i have to go back to school. I got the lift earlyer than i planed but now that i have it i want to put it on soon as i can get shocks that will be long enough

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

the looks is all a matter of your opinion, just remember that the c of gravity is raised after the lift. if you could hold off on the lift i would just wait for the tires.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

3. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

I agree with shaggy you should wait until you have everything.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

4. jsc383

jsc383 Registered Member

i can get three 35s from the same person and maybe buy one more new but then i would have to change my gearing from the 3.08 to 3.60 or higher and that is not something i can do in my driveway, or is it? everyone that has seen my truck keeps telling me how cool it would be to lift it and do all this other crap. Im only 18 and this truck is in very good shape, its all stock but every thing is rebuilt or new. i have been doing a lot of work on it for a while now and i dont want to even risk junking it, i would really like it lifted ,ive got about $1000 to spend and i know this sounds kind of greedy but i would like to switch from stock to the lift every once and a while

5. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I would wait until you have the tires on hand. After all, the only reason to lift your truck is so you can fit bigger tires, and bigger tires give you more clearance as well as give you the ability to get over more obstacles off-road. Lifts look cool, sure, but it is their function that makes them valuable. I am not sure, but I think you can put off a gear swap for a while, the difference isn't too huge if you have an auto tranny and don't use the freeway all that much. I am saving up to put in a liuft and do axle swaps (12-bolt w/Detroit Locker in the back, Dana 60 in front with 4.56 gears and 35s, 4"lift). My truck is my daily driver, but I wheel a lot as well, so I want it ready to go all at once. And honestly, the truck does pretty well with the stock springs and 31s--I just have to go around some of the more fun problems! [​IMG] The archives here offre excellent advice on gear choices, etc. Take your time when modifying your truck, as slowq and steady definitely wins the race in this instance![​IMG]

6. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

First off look over all of the gearing threads, there is a lot of info there and some people have run 35's with 3.07 gears for a while with no problems.
    Secondly, wait until you've got all of the parts you'll need, tires, drop pitman arm, (yes with a 4" I would recommend it), longer front brake lines, 9I have a 2.5"lift and stretched my front brake lines) it's not fun using your brake lines as limiting straps!
    third, don't be expecting to change from lifted to stock very often, thats just a lot of work. You're young now but after you've done it 3 or 4 times you're going to ask yourself if it's worth the trouble.
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

7. jsc383

jsc383 Registered Member

this truck is my life, i make time for it. and i was kidding about the "dorky" thing, thanks for the advice i think i will hold it off for a while