Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my nitrous system :)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Jul 28, 2002.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

OK so i didnt get nitrous, but what if...

any real use of having a nitrous system for wot for off-roading???

2. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

Ive been thinking of doing the same thing but i need to do alot to my emgine first. All new gaskets maybe new pistons and [censored]. i think it would be good in mud but i dont think it would be good for crawling.

nick

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

the only time it would give you any benifit would be in mudbogs and mud drag racing or out in the open sand dunes /forums/images/icons/smile.gif on the trail it would do you no good

4. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

I agree, mudbog racing -yes

trail riding - no

At the races the trucks on nitrous float over the mud, they don't even dig in.

One guy I know had nitrous and tried to use it on the trail. WHAT A PITA. He kept flooding it out, not enoguh RMP. It was just no fun.

The thought is though.........

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It would work on the trail if you used a window switch to turn it on only above 3,000 RPM.

Make sure you've got a rev limiter if you use it off road though! And make sure the nitrous shuts off before you hit the rev limiter.

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

i can see the need for mub bog.. but how often do i see 3,000 rpm's for more than a few seconds, and when i'm doing 3 K i'm usually stuck...

Yeah a nice rev limiter and good ignition would be key...

7. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if anybody had done this yet too.

I can only see the benifit in situations where you would want to have the pedal floored. Mudbogs are one, or for shocking the crud out of the punk with the Mustang, maybe passing or on the freeway.

It seems expense though. I've never seen the difference in real life so I'm not sure.

I'm afraid with the extra hp increase I would und up leave parts all over the road. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

NOS has a new system that can be used without mashing the throttle. It is fogged into the airbox at a progressive rate so the harder you push the throttle the more it throws. Its supposed to work for all driving, not sure if I would do it though, you wouldn't get jack for mileage, but talk about passing power /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

At silver lake, MI, they have sand drags. I have often thought about how nice a bottle of juice would be for that. Also climbing the steep sand dunes takes lots of go power. A lot of people can't get over the hills because they don't have enough power.

How about leaving the front hubs unlocked and using nitrous in low range to drag race on the street? You would either spank some punks or blow the rear driveshaft off! (disclaimer: please don't try this at home without adult supervision)

10. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

actually, my motor has more than enough power for most trail situations, at least with the current tires. The only times I floor it and hope for more is when climbing massive dunes (not much mud here). Thats exactly why I'm planning on a nitrous system. The way I want it set, it'll only hit at full throttle with the system enabled, in situations where I need all the horsepower I can get. Other than that, the motor will operate normally for trail use and daily driving, unlike a blower.

11. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

that's what i was thinking...

Only have needed an extra 100 ponies of juice once or twice.. i know my dana 44 wouldnt take it... np203 might now take it, than again they hold bbc power so...

It would be nice to be able to enable it and crank in 100 ponies on demand!

Oh an ddont run your vehicle in 2 lo on the steet... it'll tack near 4000 rppm doing 30 mph.. i know this.. it wraps belts around the fan belt...

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It'd be great for me, once a year, and the 4wd show.

As for racing people in 4 low, you'll spin your tires WAY too easily. That'd be like having 8:1 rear gears.

13. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

When we race the super stock class in the 555cid trucks we will sometimes use nitrous or a blower. if u have a good engine,u could probably use a 75 shot of dry nitrous in ur trucks, but the rpm's should b somewhere around 3000-3400+. most of the trucks with stock engines can take that, but it puts alot of strain on parts. if u r gonna get one and have a carb, i reccomend the sniper (made by holley), edelbrock, or the NOS(blue tanks) systems. the sniper is the cheapest and most complete kit. but dont go over n e thing more than 100 shot of dry nos. n e thing over that and u'll b f*ckin up ur engine.

NITRO