Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My nomination for the ultimate tow rig goes to.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cybrfire, Aug 6, 2004.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

The mighty Chinook

[​IMG]

Just dreaming but wouldn't it be fun to fly to moab and drive out of that thing. Live in it all weekend and then fly to the next spot. Of course to the tune of mere millions I'm sure but dreaming is free.

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

If I remember correctly, you could take your truck and your buddies, with all your stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

What about gas /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. cybrfire

[ QUOTE ]
    What about gas /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

who the hell knows... Hell take the gas station with you. Ha...

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

LOL now thats an idea! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Would be pretty neat, but your vehicle could only be about 6' tall, maybe 7' wide tops, to fit in a Chinook's cabin.
    If you trust your bumper D-rings, you could carry your rig externally, and not have to worry about the dimensions...

Of course, I'm a bit biased; my vote would go to the Sikorsky CH-53E Super Stallion. Lifts more, and carries it farther, faster, than the Chinook:
    [​IMG]
    Lifting a 23,000lb M113 armored personnel carrier that's been decomissioned, and will be used as a target. Still 9000lbs of lift capability available here!

[​IMG]
    Carrying 2 Humvees, approx. 14,000lbs, which is just over the load weight that you can actually "feel" (loads lighter than 10Klbs are generally overpowered by the aircraft; loads over about 12Klbs will have much more influence on the aircraft). This is one of my squadron's aircraft, off the coast of Djibouti in the Horn of Africa, taken during the 24th MEU's deployment during 2002-2003. The crew of this aircraft was the combat crew I was supposed to be assigned to, until I got "volunteered" to stay behind and not deploy.

I don't know what a Chinook costs, but in 1999 dollars (when the last one was built), a CH-53E cost approx. $28 million. Over 24 maintenance man-hours per flight-hour; a 2000 gallon JP-5 fill-up (89 cents/gal at gov't contract price, over $2/gal at civilian price) will get you about 600 miles.

7. cybrfire

That's awesome. What are the inside dimensions on that thing? It would be just as much to go to the four wheeling spot as four wheel.

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

The cabin floor is 30' from cockpit bulkhead to the ramp hinge.
    Lowest point of the ceiling is 69", and the narrowest point of the cabin is 68".

Picture 7 standard 40x48" wood pallets lined up in a row. That's a standard load-out for an internal-cargo mission. And if the crew's in a good mood, we can get an 8th pallet on the ramp.

Here's a good pic of the cabin - there's another 10 feet behind the cameraman. You can see the pallet rollers, and some details of the dual-point cargo hooks in this pic, too.
    [​IMG]