Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My NP208 is FUBAR!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnnieg, Jan 20, 2003.

1. johnnieg

johnnieg 1/2 ton status

I had noticed that there were a couple of spots on the pavement where I park and decided to investigate. I scraped a ton of grime and grease off my T-case (you couldn't even see any metal) And lo and behold, there are busted gaskets sticking out of it at pretty much every seam!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The skid plate was full of nasties. Is it salvagable and what would it cost aprox. to fix it, or does it just make more financial sense to just to get a rebuilt or aftermarket case?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I would take it out clean it, open it, check that everything is good, check the vents since the only reason the gaskets would blow out is pressure, then change the gasket and put it together.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. johnnieg

johnnieg 1/2 ton status

What kind of tools and stuff would i need? How long would it take? I'm a student and don't have that much free time or ca$h And where are the vents?

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm also in the Springs and have a 208 sitting on the garage floor that's in great shape (and spotlessly clean!). I took it out of an '88 Blazer. $200 would take it out of here. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Basic tools should cover it, and time could be anywhere from 2 hours to 2 days depending on your ability to analyse.
    Cost for me was $10 for gasket material and the fluid refil.

6. HarryH3

I went out in the garage to take a look at the 208 that I have. The seam between the front and rear half looks to have been sealed with a liquid at the factory and some of it is sticking out of the seam. Perhaps this is the "busted gaskets sticking out of it at pretty much every seam!!!" that you described. If so, then it's normal.

The first thing that you need to do is stop by Walmart and spend $1.37 on a can of Gunk Engine Cleaner. Then drive to the nearest self serve car wash and spray down the entire transfer case with the engine cleaner. Now fire up the car wash and get under there and get that transfer case CLEAN. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif This will make it A) easier to see the source of the leak and B) much nicer to work on when you fix said leak. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The bolts that hold a 208 to the adpater between it and the transmission thread into the interior of the case of the 208. If they come loose, the ATF will leak past the threads. That could be the source of the leak. If so, it's an easy fix. Tighten the bolts! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Or for a more long term fix, drain the case, remove the bolts, clean the threads and coat them with a sealant (Permatex Form-a-Gasket #2 works great for this) and reinstall them. Refill the case with fresh ATF and you're good to go. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I'll second what Harry said.

Eric

8. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I agree with Harry as well. Shoot me a PM if you need a hnad. I'm in C/S as well and will be glad to help if needed. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Oven cleaner also works wonders to take off the grease. Its the best stuff I've found so far. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. HarryH3

Just don't let it blow back on your skin or in your eyes! That stuff is caustic. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Dont breath it either.

12. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

And make sure you rinse the case well..... caustics and aluminum don't mix too well.