Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

my one hell of a day (OCT. 31) dial up, be ware

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Nov 1, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Well in my post about removing my tub from the blazer chassis, I was asking where to lift it up from. I got some ideas, and had my own too.
    First I considered Kerts idea, to put 2 holes through the subframe, and hoist up from there... that was a little to much for me, so I passed on that.
    Then someone mentioned going threw the roof, and hoisting. The only bad thing about that is it'd squish the rain gutter. Well I tried that for most of the day, and for the most part it worked. BUT, the roof of the carport was to low, so i didn't have enough room to lift the tub high enough to clear the chassis.
    So then I finally decided that I would hoist through where the windsheild wiper linkage there, through there and come out before where the fenders bolt on to. I almost was positive that it would bend up while lifting, but at that time, I could care less... I just wanted it off the chassis.

Anywyas, the story is I started at just before 10:00 am, and the plan was to take the tub off the chassis. Well I thought that wouldn't be to hard. But was I ever wrong. I was working all by myself... so that probably doesn't help. Long story short, I fawked around for 4 hours and not being able to lift the tub high enough. Then I came to the conclusion to lift from where the wipers are. Well that worked good for a while... until I jammed up my chain hoist... a brand new 200$ hoist was jammed. Now that made my head go through the roof. I was nearing 3:00, and I had to go by 4:00... so I grabbed a metal punch and a hammer... and started un jamming it. Then I tighted the hook... and I was lifting again. I finished at 10 minutes to 4:00.

almost 6 hours to get the tub on a cart, and the chassis out of the carport. Besides working alone, thats pathetic... I went through alot of emoitions instead of punching something. With how frustrated I was, if I used my anger, the k5 would be a pile of scrap metal. I was FUIROUS.

at 3:00 I had my mom and sister help... not the best helpers, but it worked alright.

OH, and I used my engine hoist for lifting the rear, it went easier than I hoped for that, but when I lifted the rear with the engine hoist, it pulled the body backwards for some reason, so the wheelwell was 8-10 inches farther back then where the tire was.

I don;t feel like writing down everything, because it makes me mad again. If anyone has questions, ask them.

here are some pics I took a few minutes ago, this is what it looked like at 3:50 yesterday.... (the pictures are in no certain order).............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can see my cart i'm using for rolling the tub around. It was used 2 years ago for moving my tranny/transfercase to a specialty shop.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

oh, I forgot to add...
    One day soon I will roll the tub out to the spot it was all summer. And bring the chassis back into the carport to tear it down to the bare frame.

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah that what its all about buddy , weve all been there that is what seporats truck people form every body elce.

you got a lot of space to work with so be gratful for that.

too bad your on the other side of the contry, i would be able to help you all the time.

keep with it budd and dont let your fustrations get to you.

itll work out fine. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    almost 6 hours to get the tub on a cart, and the chassis out of the carport. Besides working alone, thats pathetic... I went through alot of emoitions instead of punching something. With how frustrated I was, if I used my anger, the k5 would be a pile of scrap metal. I was FUIROUS.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds familiar... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Looks good. You're at the really fun part of the project now.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah that what its all about buddy , weve all been there that is what seporats truck people form every body elce.

you got a lot of space to work with so be gratful for that.

too bad your on the other side of the contry, i would be able to help you all the time.

keep with it budd and dont let your fustrations get to you.

itll work out fine. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I shouldn't be saying this, because I am not sure if its true or not... but I may be moving in the spring/summer to alot smaller house/property. So I wont have much space soon, especailly since the snow is going to take up all the room /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Looks good. You're at the really fun part of the project now.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, when I get the chassis back into the carport I can just putter...my only deadline is to have the frame sandblasted, paint it with eastwood rust escalatpors, and re-assemble parts on the frame before the snow melts.

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

if anyone told you it would be easy they never did it themselves.
    you are flying now.
    congratulate yourself on the small victories.

you are going to know every inch of that vehicle.

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Ahh yes, I remember those days! its tons of fun tryin to get it back on.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AH! I dont even want to think about getting it on! It will probably be twice as hard! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds familiar... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup--all too familiar!!Been there,done that!
    84 Jimmy--congrats on your first "frame off" restoration--now that you've busted your cherry on this truck--I bet you start doing it to many more--or you may never want to touch another one--seen it go both ways!.But you will never know until you try--and even if you dont want to do another one,the experience you will gain by building this truck will stay with you forever--you wont ever be taken advantage of by a garage,or mechanic because they think you know nothing about cars--this project will do more for your education than any class at school,beleive me!.
    Putting it together is the hardest part,because you wont want to damage anything--the opposite applies to taking it apart,you almost HAVE to wreck a few things to get it apart,as you now well know. If you have an engine hoist,you can lift each end of the tub up with chains like you did in the back.I use chain bolted to the topmost fender bolt mounting hole near the cowl on each side,near the heater motor and wiper motor,or the inner bolts that hold the wheel well liner on if they arent rotted.I know it gets "tippy" on the crane--thats when I hate being alone doing this type of work--if nothing else the other guy could go for help if something goes wrong...I'd say you had one hell of a halloween,one you'll likely remember all your life--now you'll have something to do all winter!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AH! I dont even want to think about getting it on! It will probably be twice as hard! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Have a word with Shaun, he's in the coastguard. Maybe he could arrange for a nice big helicopter to airlift the tub back on for you!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Good luck...it'll all be worth it in the end!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

yeah, I will always be working on vehicles, I love it.
    I was thinking last night of the other trucks I want... the list is big. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

The only thing I regret, is I cut a bunch of wires because I couldn't get them off of one end, and I broke a few plastic connecters /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

OH, and I brought the tub out by the shed, and brought the chassis back into the carport. Now I can disassemble it! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

cool,bro.getting my tub off was way easier because mine was rusted out junk. we pulled it off the drivers side with my friends truck.then we loaded it up on one of our macks with a SKYTRACK.and i put it in a 30 yard dumpster. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif GETTING the pick up cab on was a POS.i brought home a piggyback forklift that lifts 12 foot,well 12 foot ain't enough when the six in lift is on plus 36inch tires.i stacked over 900lbs of weights on the rear and pulled the valve stems out of the tires and it STILL wasn't enough. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif i broke the heater core housing and bent the transfercase shifter mount a little. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif but she's done allmost? doing it by yourself sucks but i want to do it when I wan't to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Tomorrow, depending on what time I get home and on daylight I will probably start taking stuff off the frame. I can already tell this is going to take alot of money, 200 bucks for a chain hoist, 180 for engine hoist, I need a engine stand and at least 1 or 2 jackstands, the list goes on...

16. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i finally got the carb thing right,i wasn't going to give up on the CARTER AFB. my friend baught it new but ran it without an airfilter. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifi didn't take it apart cuz it wasn't mine but i did spray the [censored] out of it with carb cleaner.anyway after tightening the (TREE) behind the carb and putting the q jet back on.THAT part is done.now it's just new lights and making a frame for the rear fenders.the dumbest thing i did was pull everything off the core support and then never changing the core support.IDIOT now i can't find the adjusting screws or sprngs for the headlights. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifhow far are you taking the frame???

17. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

yea thats the bad thing, all the little tools and parts all add up /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

everything will come off the frame, so I can sandblast it. Or try to sandblast it... I have a dinky little 20$ sandblaster! If that doesn't work, I will either wirewheel or do something to clean it up.

19. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

That little thing will take you FOREVER to sandblast. You called any sandblasting companies close. I remember trying to do my chevelle frame years ago and it wasnt fun if you really want to get it clean. Think I paid $125 or so to get it done right

20. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I love seeing projects like this cause it reminds me that my projects realy arnt that big of deal /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif