Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My opinion of Wyotech after 4 months here...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, May 3, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Don't want to limit it to one word like, crap.... But thats the first thing that comes to mind. Is it really crap? No. I've learned a lot already, and I'm sure I will continue to. But everything is aimed for you to pass. My one teacher(who is a total dick) said he has only failed about 3 or 4 people since he started at the school. And they were all because of attendance. I know damn well that there are kids who have no idea what they are doing in this class. There are people who should be a lot closer to failing than they are. Is that just my opinion of them? Maybe, they could be doing better or grasping better than I see. But the years my teacher has been here the idea that hes never failed anyone for grades.... give it a few years and Wyotech won't be as highly regarded as it is by some now.

I've heard grumblings that teachers get paid based on how many students pass their classes. If thats true this school is bull. My head teacher(the dick previouslly noted) said if there is any horseplay in the shop the person who did it and the person they did it to will both be in trouble. Sounds like high school to me, doesn't matter if someone punches you, you are both suspended(how it was in my high school anyway).

Had more than a few kids show up drunk a few days. Seriouslly large amount of people that I have no idea why they came here. They sleep through class, don't do anything when they are awake(still passing though). Why pay so much to come and nap?

The extra learning classes are being booked up pretty heavily(Chassis Fabrication and Street Rod). I was told that one of my friend's roommate might not get his car into the Chassis Fabrication course because there are 54 kids in his class who all want to bring their cars in. If I can't get the S10 into the shop I will be pissed. Like I said to someone today, I really feel like going home, ordering a bunch of tubing, a bender, and just getting to work on the S10 right now.

I'm hoping for Honor Student in my class(95% or better and picked by teachers), I will laugh if I get it. I can't work in a dealership enviroment personally. Not becuase I won't allow myself to, I'd like to, my driving record is terrible. There is no way a dealership will hire me.

We are in the basic engine management systems course right now, I hope it gets better, I sincerely hope it does.

Oh and don't get me started about the schools financial aid department.

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Well, since WTI is my Alma Mater, I will give you my views.

Sled-you already know most of this, so skip ahead....

I went to WTI in Laramie back in 1991 about 30 days after graduation from High School. It was (and probably still is) a very hard school. I think the reason they are still passing is due to the fact that your overall grade is based on shop/classroom cumlatives. And the fact that a dude with perfect attendance (no lates/misses) doesnt have those points removed from his grade, where as Joe Goodwrench is late after a 20 minute brake, doesnt shave one morning, and lets his hair touch his collar, losses those points.

I dont think that the instructors get paid based on there pass rate, that sounds like some disgruntled student rumors.

Dont sweat the idiots who sleep in class (that happens in all schools anyways), they are the ones who will be competeing for jobs against you, and YOU will the one who will laugh last.

Besides EMS-I and EMS-II suck anyway. After those it gets alot better.

I do agree about the finiancial aide dept. :crazy:

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I have heard nothign bad about Wyotech and all the trade schools such as UTI, first hand. I was told that the school gets your 25K and then another 25K (estimated) for you all being there, so your right about them wanting to pass you. If you get a degree, its only a degree that means something to them, most places it wont be worth the paper its printed on. Some people ive talked to who have gone there are pretty disatisfied with it. One guy took the diesel class and Chassis class. I asked him about the Chassis class, because I wanted to take it. He asked if I kew how to TIG weld, I told him yes. He siad then I shouldnt waste my time because basically all they did was teach you how to TIG weld. Oh he changes oil now, and is in debt for like 23K.

The teachers at my school dont care for them either. I called up Wyotech because I wanted to take the chassis class, but didnt want to have to go through all the schooling, because I already have done that. Of course right away he said no, but after I told him my background, his attitude changed (of course it did they want money). After a few phone calls the guy came back with the verdict. He told me that all auto programs are basically the same, I mean how much variation can there be? So I could take it, theyd need to check my school, and be on a wating list, but I could. I decided to not waste my money and learn from my boss.

I am actually sort of upset. My buddy and I were gonna go to wyotech together and open a shop one day. He went without me. He thinks hes gonna get hired at a fab shop right when he gets done with school. From what I have heard, good luck. The graduated end up at dealerships, changing oil, and owe a bunch of money. I dunno though, I dont think thatll be the case with you, you seem really damn smart, im sure youll end up getting a better job then that, atleast I hope you do. Hey, wanna open a shop? lol.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

If you don't want to live in CA anymore, cause no way I'm gonna move there :D

We shall see how it goes, I'm not going anywhere. My schooling is paid for so I won't have the debt when I leave here. Like I said before, I should have just campaigned for a job with one of the race shops I know(one of which is owned by a family friend) and learned the trade on the go, but I guess I will have something more to offer after this. As for cumulative shop grade, there are people who still haven't handed in worksheets from 4 weeks ago(changing antifreeze for chrissake)

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

One part of school, any post HS school, is the BS they put you thru. Having that diploma may not mean much to the outside world at large, but to a smart guy thinking of hiring you it means that you'll be there thru the good and the bad b/c you've got a piece of paper that proves that you already have done it.

The best advice I ever got was to not worry about what I wanted to be when I grew up, just think about where I want to be in 5 years. I still don't know what I want to be when (if?) I grow up. I'm still working on the 5 year part.....

6. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I have a friend who went to Laramie in 2003 after we graduated he is now working in oklahoma for a oil well company. He did the Diesel Major, he learned alot, but also said it wasnt that great of a program. All he does now is change oil on company fleet vehicles, he is about ready to quit and move back to iowa, but he wants to get his pickup paid off first i think.

7. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i graduated from UTI last year and i can honestly say that if you wanna work on heavy equipment or diesel trucks, its a waste of time. oh and there is nothing even close to a fabrication class. in my 2 yrs there i never even saw a cutting torch, welder or bender. "HOT ROD 'U'" that UTI is so highly regarded for is a total waste of time and money. you build STOCK GM 350s that have been torn down rebuilt and dynoed about 5-10 times before you. dyno them, put down an impressive 265hp, then bolt on a bigger carb and different intake. run an amazing 280hp then swap cams and try a 50 shot of nitrous, and put out an earth shaking 350-375 hp... b o r i n g... the only classes i really benefitted from were the 3 diesel engines courses and the advanced diagnostic courses... i would say to you that if u wanna work in a dealership and have a clean driving record, then it might be for you. but if you're into something a little heavier like trucks or equipment, go to wyotech...

8. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

So this is were you learned your custom fabrication skills :D

:D I looked everywhere for that picture of you radiator hose with duct tape and zip ties :D

9. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

LOL....The same thing happened this past weekend at Uwharrie. I even secured the hose better, but it still hit the alternator. When I got a new one Monday, I modified it so it "Shouldn't" happen again.

Anyway, one thing my buddy told me a long time ago when I was disgruntled about not working in the automotive field, is that the money you save working on/fixing your own vehicles over the course of your life time will equal what you paid...just food for thought.

Rob

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

We had a few high school teachers drop in for a visit today. They just wanted to get a feel for the school to be more educated when helping their students pick a place to go.

I spent some time talking to the one teacher. As I entered the conversation I could tell the tone was negative. I listened and added and thought about some stuff that makes a lot of sense as far as some bad things about the school.

We do not R&R starters or Alternators. We have a box full of alternators, and a box full of starters, but do not remove them from our "Comp Cars". If we do, we get in trouble. Now, to me this made sense. If people remove them a lot, sooner or later someone will break a stud or worse. Either it will neccesitate a rebuild or replacement. So the school saves a lot by not dealing with it. This makes sense to ME, why? Because I've removed and replaced countless starters and alternators. What do I need to be taught about replacing a starter or alternator? BUT, there are kids in my class who I am certain that the first time we did oil changes in the class(thats how basic we started) they had never done it before. So it would stand to reason that R&Ring things would be good, if not REQUIRED for them. What are they going to do in the field?

Also the teacher was talking about how the kids he had come out of the tech programs from other high schools had no idea how to do simple automotive things. Something like attaching a headlight alignment tool.(I only learned this in my PA Inspection course) It made me realize, a real tech does work like that often, but yet we are not taught that. For the most part that work can be pretty generalized over the makes so it seems a basic thought to do such things.

Another issue, test taking. Many if not all of our test precede actual shop time. Meaning, they lecture for 8 hours(yay) on a subject such as starters. Then the next day we have the test(so its fresh and more people pass :surepal: ) but we don't go into the shop and actually get hands on with a starter for another day or two. So for many people the first time they see a starter apart and get to perform the neccessary tests on one, is AFTER they take the test.

Now I am doing very well in class, and loving the things I am learning. Heck this morning when we took a test my one teacher mumbled under his breath "another 100%". But not everyone learns the sameway I do. I can picture almost everything they are teaching us and relate it to something I've already done and just didn't fully understand at the time. Others just can't do that.

11. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Hey Sled-all I can really say is, You may hate it until you are done, but when you graduate, you will be glad you went.

I remeber how basic they started. Hell, I went to 2 years of Vocational school, plus worked on all of my own stuff before I went. I had rebuilt motors, axles, etc. So other than the engine management stuff, I just kinda cruised through about half.

One of the most important things I lerarned didnt come untill the end of the course.

How to sell yourself to an employer. They required us to make resumes, letters of application, and course outlines to send to prospective employers. We also had to do follow-up calls and all that stuff. The reason I didnt get a job was simply because of the economy at the time....post Desert Storm. However, in the Military, the same techniques are used when you are looking for a new job.

Good luck Sled, and keep your head up.

Rob

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Seeing as I took ASM first, I learned all those things first.

13. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

It's almost creepy how similar our experiences are, during the same time frame. It's almost like we're going to the same school....
    I've got the same brand of people in my school - the sleepers, the can't-operate-a-screwdriver types, the I-don't-like-airplanes types (at an aircraft maintenance school.... :surepal: :surepal: ). Unbelievable.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Doing well? I've got a 95.3% with my final tomorrow. If I ace it I can bump up to a 96.4%. I just want to stay above a 95%.

15. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, carrying a 99 right now.