Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

My other hobby...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Inu-Hanyou1776, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Here's my other interest besides anime and 4x4's:

[​IMG]

Drums!!

Got a fullsize drumkit in my basement that dad bought me in high school that looks very similar to what's in the pic (only the cymbal arrangement is different).

I just spent $60+ today to get this:

[​IMG]

so I can continue practice after 9:00 PM now, and a new batter head for my kit's snare drum.

2. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

Cool another drummer. :saweet: After playing in all kind of bands since I was 17 I’ve almost totally lost interest over the last few years. I even went as far as putting one of my kits up on ebay and turning it into a doubler. :grin:
    Guess I burnt myself out on it but I have been known to hunt down a bar with a mid week open mic night and jam for a while. You just can’t ever get it all out of you’re system.

3. Inu-Hanyou1776

What got me back into wanting to play is my brother picking up the guitar and starting to play it. The next big thing I'm gonna buy for my drumkit is a set of double-beater pedals for my bass drum because brother right now mostly plays metal on his guitar, and being able to play wickedly fast rhythms on the bass drum is important in that style of music.

EDIT - Who's my favorite drummer too? Groove master John Bonham from Led Zeppelin, that's who! Lars Ulrich, drummer for Metallica, comes in second.

4. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

That’s pretty much the type of music we played in all the original bands I was in. It’s really the only type I can totally get into when I’m playing. I miss that part of it, the feeling you get when a bands tight and sounding good but I’ve lost the drive to get out there and work at it.

5. Inu-Hanyou1776

Here's one of my favorite drawings, music related:

[​IMG]

Yes, that is InuYasha with a Gibson Les Paul is his hands. Obviously not drawn by me, I can't draw.

Surprisingly, for not played in so long, when I first got back on my kit after moving it from my parents house to the basement of where I'm staying at now, my hands were still in pretty good shape and I could still do a lot of what I could when I was a senior in high school, but now I'm wanting to get my hands and technique to where I can do fast fills for extended periods and do fill-based backbeats too.

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

thats it? what about this??

drumalot.jpg

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

One of my best friends drums for "Slipknot".

8. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Dad's got a Les Paul Studio. It's a kickass guitar.

9. Inu-Hanyou1776

I don't really see the need for something that elaborate and complicated. The trend in the last few years in kit drumming has been toward smaller and less complex drumkits, more along what I've already got, and focusing instead on technique and making a small kit like what I've got sound mind-blowingly awesome through superb artisanship and skill. You don't need to be completely surrounded by your drums to sound great. My kit's actually now very, very compact looking thanks to how I've got it set up.

10. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

I remember when slipknot played a small venue here in winnipeg many moons ago (before they got real big) and there DJ did a dive off one of the cabnets and flopped on some chick. That was an awesome show.

11. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Joey Jordison??????

That guy rocks

12. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I heard ya was pretty dang good!!!

13. Inu-Hanyou1776

Brother Paul says I'm better than ALL the current drummers in marching band combined! While it's great to know, it also depresses me a little that the quality of the drumline has gone downhill really bad since I graduated. Told brother I'd be willing to give the drummers lessons if maybe the band director liked the idea, and he told me that if I could teach the quad toms player how to play his instrument well, band director might consider it. *sigh* That's one instrument I never played.

Gonna tell dad next time I see him that for either my Birthday or Christmas this year, I want a double-beater bass pedal for the drumkit. That's an item that'll allow me to play my bass drum with the same speed I can play the snare drum and toms with.

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

know that feeling, we were a consistent Top 5 contender for the state Championship for 15 years running, then we graduated, and the program went to crap. they've missed qualifying for State Finals twice since i graduated.

15. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Not for nuthin but the drumline is my absolute favorite part of a marching band. :D

No one's mentioned Rush's drummer. Neil Purt? I think the spellin is right.

16. Inu-Hanyou1776

So you want to play drums? Pick up a pair of sticks, print out the following two pages, and start practicin' to get your hands in shape:

International Drum Rudiments